This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin gets slower until a full reboot

bellb300

Sat May 23, 2020 10:08:41 pm

Hey all, I have zorin 15.2 on a dell xp 15 9550

32gb ram
Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz × 8
GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2
installed on a 1tb nvme

Despite good specs, Zorin starts to lag after its been on for more than a few hours. Most noticeably, as I type. every 8th or so key stroke will take a few seconds to register, the mouse or mouse clicks will lag or a scroll will lag. This continues until I do a reboot.

What information could I provide to start debugging whats causing the lag?

I notice some spikes in a similara pattern in the system monitor.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 24, 2020 2:38:25 pm

OK, first thing I noticed is that you have a 64 Mb swap file - SSD's do not require a swap file. When installing Linux to SSD you should format the partition to Ext2, a non-journaling file system - if you installed to Ext4 fs then the rewrites to disc could be slowing down performance. I would also advise that you should have a separate HDD for your /home partition as SSD's can't recover deleted files like you can with HDD - that's why top end Notebooks have SSD for the System and a separate HDD file for data. ;) :D

You also need to set up TRIM in Linux - Windows does this automatically - which could also contribute possibly to your lag?

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... ux-servers