This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

remote desktop - password required locally?

AUTOgod

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:39:19 am

hi guys.

im attempting to make an on-demand, remote access system. so far i have enabled wake on lan without issue, and have got samba sharing working. however, remote desktop is giving me some issues.

on a first boot, the first time i attempt to get remote access, it requires me to input a password on the computer that im trying to access.

i dont know about anybody else, but to me thats a bit of an obstacle

im also having trouble with ftp, but thats another story.

Wolfman

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:55:46 pm

AUTOgod

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:17:09 pm

Wolfman wrote:hi,

take a look here, I don't use it myself:

http://ubuntumanual.org/posts/367/how-t ... stribution

http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-use-remot ... in-ubuntu/

Regards Wolfman :D

maybe i should re-phrase it.

this machine isnt to remain on at all times, rather woken using wake on lan whenever it is needed.

however, whenever i do this, and attempt to take control, it requires that i input the user accounts password on the machine itself (should add, auto-login is enabled).

what this means is that, in order to gain remote access after first powering on the machine via wol, somebody needs to put in the password via the local keyboard.

madvinegar

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:51:16 pm

Have you tried going to system>preferences>remote desktop and uncheck the box "you must confirm each access to this machine"?

AUTOgod

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:05:14 am

madvinegar wrote:Have you tried going to system>preferences>remote desktop and uncheck the box "you must confirm each access to this machine"?

never been checked as far as i know.

madvinegar

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58:28 am

I think is ckecked by default, this is why I am asking.

AUTOgod

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15:36 pm

madvinegar wrote:I think is ckecked by default, this is why I am asking.

what i mean is, ive disabled it, and ive never re-enabled it.

Wolfman

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:47:19 pm

Hi,

try going to Control Center > Internet And Network > Remote Desktop and look at the security settings!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Screenshot-Remote Desktop Preferences.png
Screenshot-Remote Desktop Preferences.png (41.8 KiB)