This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 15 Frozens

pcfan5

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:23:37 am

I have this laptop
Code:
$ inxi -Fnz
System:    Host: silvia-C150 Kernel: 5.3.0-28-generic x86_64 bits: 64
           Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1 Distro: Zorin OS 15.1
Machine:   Device: laptop System: EXO product: C150 v: 1.00 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Standard model: Standard serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: 1.00 date: 08/05/2014
Battery    BAT0: charge: 12.7 Wh 62.0% condition: 20.5/23.8 Wh (86%)
CPU:       Quad core Intel Pentium N3540 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2665 MHz 1: 557 MHz 2: 1355 MHz 3: 1596 MHz
           4: 1542 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.5 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail version: 4.2 Mesa 19.2.1
Audio:     Card Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.3.0-28-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: rtl8188ee
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0f1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (9.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000LPCX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 11G (58%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: /home size: 434G used: 29G (7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 206 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 546.4/3817.3MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Most of times it gets stucked at startup, that is between Bios / Brand logo… nothing works, just freezes before starting.
So I am compeled to shout down from power button.

Some other times Zorin gets frozen in the middle of playing a video from Facebook. Video get stocked, sounds always repeating the same bit as a erasured vynil disk , external usb mouse stop working, neither does keys or touch pad, so rebooting from same power button is needed, and when that happens it is sure to happen what I said at first, booting gets stuck, no message error, no window to see the process , no working key.

I set this laptop for my parents in order to avoid them the issues Windows 10 brings, but putting Zorin 15 has been a bad decision since day 0 . Earlier in other topic someone mentioned ubuntu 18 having problems if that is the case, in this topic, I think it would be wiser to downgrade, or changing into another distro for good. I am under Linux mint 19,3 xfce in my computers (one with i5 and the other very old with dual core processor) and never had a problem like this.

What shall I do. Can this two errors I mentioned be solved? or shall I move to another distro.?

Parents must think I am an idiot , always fixing things that never worked properly. I know I sound rude, however i don’t mean to be disrespectful with developers but I am tired. Thinking about upgrading to an stable distro.

I have mentioned this problem before here: https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15345#

Also here https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15195
where I asked if the machine was good for running Zorin 15

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:07:43 pm

Can you boot into safe mode at all by going to Advanced Mode? I would also look at downgrading the kernel to an older one:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15700&p=71685#p71685

pcfan5

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:25:10 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Can you boot into safe mode at all by going to Advanced Mode? I would also look at downgrading the kernel to an older one:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15700&p=71685#p71685

Thank you so much Swarf! for you kind reply, I 've suffering this problems since day one. And despite I could try your suggestion I know soon or later the "updater" will force the system to upgrade the kernel as it always does despite I don't mark the tick to do so.

Thank you once again for being the main person in trying to bring support to this project. Maybe the only one (there are other members in the forum as well) but you are always covering subjects, trying to make things ok. That is much appreciated, I don't know what would it be of this project without your help.

So far I would change my parents distro as well as my friend's into something more trustable or until the project gets better.

See you soon somewhere else ;)

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:10:44 pm

Here's a useful command guide to make things stick:

https://www.bonusbits.com/wiki/HowTo:Up ... the_Kernel

m28

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:02:53 pm

I am also experiencing a lot of freezes that require log off by ctrl-alt-del

I am so over installing different distros, so am sticking with Zorin because it gives me dark mode and I have managed to get timeshift onto it. I love its minimal interface

But in regard to this freezing issue, what typically will occur over the next weeks to sort this out?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:53:36 pm

Try downgrading to an older kernel - also there is usually one older kernel still present after an update - when you boot and get GRUB showing, choose to boot advanced option and then choose the earlier kernel (lower numbered one) which appears at bottom of list - does the freezing stop? That is a clear indication of a kernel bug which Team Zorin has no control over. ;) :D

m28

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:24:17 am

I am still too much of a newbie. I dont think I have grub showing, but lets park this issue for a while. I am trying to install python properly writing down the method and checking out what applications to install. Once I know what I need to do to install everything properly and keep a clean linusx os then I will get onto the fancy stuff

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:44:54 pm

If you don't see a Zorin choice menu at start, hold down the left shift key - sometimes dabbing it repeatedly helps or hold left shift key down as you boot up. ;) :D