This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to fix broken CUDA installation?

Totemi1324

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:27:57 am

I have some problems installing CUDA on ZorinOS (I know it's not officially supported). I tried to install it the way it is described in the official documentation, did 'sudo apt -y install cuda' and that worked.

However after the installation, the command 'nvcc' was not found. The terminal told me I could install it with 'sudo apt-get -y install nvidia-cuda-toolkit', so I did just that. It did not complete the installation because it said:

Code:
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (0)

So I removed the package ('sudo apt-get remove nvidia-cuda-toolkit') and tried again, this time with the -f flag. This didn't work out either, because:

Code:
Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-cuda-dev_9.1.85-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So I manually deleted nvidia-cuda-dev_9.1.85-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb and tried to fix the broken installs with 'sudo apt-get --fix-broken install'. It tries to install the package nvidia-cuda-toolkit, but it always gets stuck on 28% and does not progress any further, no matter how long I wait.

Code:
Get:1 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 nvidia-cuda-dev amd64 9.1.85-3ubuntu1 [263 MB]
    28% [1 nvidia-cuda-dev 92,3 MB/263 MB 35%]

My internet connection is alright I tried it several times, it always gets stuck right here. So obviously, I messed things up, but is there any chance to fix it and how (without reinstalling the whole OS)? Can I still get CUDA to work on ZorinOS and are there specific pre- or post-installation steps I may have missed?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:12:02 pm