This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

uninstall apps which is not in Software Store

voltairea

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:06:00 pm

I cannot see some application in "Installed" list. I probably have installed them from different sources. For example:
I have Natron:
But It is not in the installed list even though store has same version:
So I want to uninstall the current one. But I should find application name to run uninstall commands.
Code:
sudo apt-get remove <application_name>

How can I find application names for a specific application? I am not asking only for Natron. I would like to learn to find application names for terminal commands

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:12:27 pm

OK, if you don't have Synaptic Package Manager already installed, install it then launch it.
Then click on the 'S' column - this brings up all your installed applications to the top of the list - then browse downward for Natron - then Mark for it's complete removal, then click on Apply. ;) :D

voltairea

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:04:51 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, if you don't have Synaptic Package Manager already installed, install it then launch it.
Then click on the 'S' column - this brings up all your installed applications to the top of the list - then browse downward for Natron - then Mark for it's complete removal, then click on Apply. ;) :D

It is weird but Synaptic Package Manager couldn't find Natron. I search all possible combinations :D
I found the directory which Natron works: /home/voltairea/Natron2
Inside of it, there is a file to uninstall Natron. But I want to uninstall it with Synaptic Package Manager. Because all application doesn't have an uninstall option. if I delete all Natron2 folder, would it be enough? In Windows, absolutely not. Deleting a folder is not a solution to uninstall apps. What about in Zorin?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:28:42 pm

Do you have Gdebi Package Manager installed? If you know where the installation package is, point to it and tell it to remove. You may also want to look at this:

https://superuser.com/questions/428033/ ... e-in-linux

So try using:

Code:
pkexec apt-get --purge remove natron2

If it is the wrong package name, apt will come back with 'no such package found - did you mean ....?' ;) :D

If you have issues doing this - please see my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15791#p71892

voltairea

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11:31 pm

It worked! thank you :D :D