This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrade

ZorinJIUK

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:31:14 pm

I tried to search for this but it kept saying I was using too many common words.

I've had to re-register as my other user name would not log in. (JamieStarliteMk2)

Anyway. Forgive me if this has been asked before, but can you upgrade from Core to Ultimate without it losing any data on your computer?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:56:27 pm

First off, make sure you backup your data before attempting this. The crucial element will be that you installed using the 'something' else method - if you did then this should work for you - but you should backup your home folder first, including the hidden .files - if not showing, press Ctrl+ H:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14472#p63840

If you haven't got /home on a separate partition, the upgrade option will not work. Just a reminder too that you would need to reinstall printers and re-setup your email. ;) :D

tambler

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:05:33 am

If it is any help, here's what worked for me: as far as possible have all your data in "normal" locations then carry out a full backup of Core with Déjà Dup. Shut down your old system and install Ultimate over it. Install Déjà Dup on Ultimate and restore your earlier backup. When complete, reboot and you have everything as it was. If you backed up the configuration data for your browsers and installed apps then reactivating them will be quick and painless.

I used this method to upgrade 12.4 Ultimate to 15.2 Ultimate without any problem.

ZorinJIUK

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:30:12 pm

Hey folks. Thanks for your help with this but I have had a really good think about it, done some reading and I am struggling to find a good reason to upgrade to the Ultimate. The only real reason I wanted to do it was so I could do this...
ImageZorin-Mac by Jamie Ives, on Flickr

Yes, make it look more like a Mac. But is the cost of Ultimate really worth it just to get that?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:31:11 pm

If you want a Mac look you could install Cairo-Dock DE to Core or install 'Docky':

https://www.topbestalternatives.com/wp- ... /Docky.jpg

ZorinJIUK

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56:06 pm

Tried Docky, looks good but you can't just use that dock and not see the other one with the Zorin logo.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:55:46 pm

You can move the other panel to the top and have it auto-hide - then only visible if you moved your mouse to top of screen. ;) :D

ZorinJIUK

Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:28:16 pm

But then it will always unhide when you got to exit that application by pressing the x on the right hand side lol

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:58:23 pm

OK, if you have 'Tweaks' (Gnome Tweak-tool) installed, launch it, go to Extensions and turn off Zorin Panel - problem solved! ;) :D