This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Live DVD - boundaries

madvinegar

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:17:47 pm

Hi to all.

I have a laptop running windows7 and I would like to check if everything works well with zorin before installing same.

I have run the live DVD, everything is perfect (graphic cards 3d enabled, resolutions, usb ports etc etc), the only "problem" I have is that I cannot check if the wireless card will be working without any problem.
It is not automatically recognized (which I suppose is logical) and after running the usual tests in terminal to figure out what is the brand of the card etc, I believe that I will not have any problem. It is a standard Broadcom card (b43) which I know fearly well how to handle and which drivers I need etc.

My question is the following:

Can I download the necessary packages to enable the card (or update the system to enable the recomended STA driver) while I am on a live DVD session???
If yes, where will these packages be installed?

I want to be 100% sure that everything will be working before installing Zorin. What are the "boundaries" of running a live session?

Thanks! :D

Wolfman

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:38:46 pm

Hi MV,

if it is not recognised in live mode, it won't be after you install it either!!. You can use the Windows wireless tool after installation if necessary!!.

Go here first and check to make sure you can get the drivers anyway:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:27:12 am

Thanks for the replies! :D

I thought of another solution. I will install zorin in a USB stick or even better in an SD card (the laptop has a slot for SD Cards) and I will run Zorin from there.
This way I can do all the experiments I want, check everything and then decide what to do.

How does that sound? 8-)

Wolfman

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:31:52 am

Hi MV,

as Swarf has said; you can install using a network cable and completely update the system once installed, I cannot say whether or not that the Wifi will work afterwards, bcm chips are well supported; so you shouldn't have a major problem. That said, I cannot gaurantee it!!.

Regards Wolfman :D