This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Weather

ZorinJIUK

Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:59:51 pm

Has anyones weather app stopped working?

The current version of Zorin OS 15.2 Core.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:02:08 pm

Have you tried doing a system update to see if any updates to that app come through? ;) :D
I don't use the one that comes with Zorin, I use an Extension.

Weather extension.jpg

ZorinJIUK

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:11:13 pm

no updates showing from the one that comes with Zorin (I am also in Sheffield BTW)

What extension is that?

michael_a

Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:49:16 pm

I've got the same issue using the default app. It no longer retrieves the weather forecast, it just displays a message saying "Forecast not available" or "Weather information is currently unavailable."

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:39:01 pm

ZorinJIUK wrote:no updates showing from the one that comes with Zorin (I am also in Sheffield BTW)

What extension is that?

I will post back later. Fortunately I have a key that gives me access when that app shown was free. Most Weather data services request a fee these days. :x

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:39:37 pm

michael_a wrote:I've got the same issue using the default app. It no longer retrieves the weather forecast, it just displays a message saying "Forecast not available" or "Weather information is currently unavailable."

I suspect the service it relied on is either dead or needs a subscription for a 'key'.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:14:49 pm

OK, the extension I use is one from openweather:

openweather extension.jpg

Open Weather extension.jpg

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:52:04 pm

Just had a look at uninstalling and reinstalling the app - it is called 'gnome-weather' - checked on latest version of Ubuntu 20.04 in a VM on FerenOS and it is no longer in use by Canonical - from Software store the nearest is 'Meteo': Screenshot attached:

Meteo in Ubuntu 20.04.jpg

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:58:44 pm

Meteo is also in Zorin Software channel:

Meteo in Zorin Software.jpg

Meteo.jpg

Aravisian

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:07:55 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
michael_a wrote:I've got the same issue using the default app. It no longer retrieves the weather forecast, it just displays a message saying "Forecast not available" or "Weather information is currently unavailable."

I suspect the service it relied on is either dead or needs a subscription for a 'key'.

Exactly the case. When people began using weather conky and weather screenlet apps in greater numbers over the years, the weather services were inundated with pings that clogged them up very badly. They are not being greedy or cruel; There was no way they could handle the load. In the end, they had to regretfully restrict service.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:56:08 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:

Exactly the case. When people began using weather conky and weather screenlet apps in greater numbers over the years, the weather services were inundated with pings that clogged them up very badly. They are not being greedy or cruel; There was no way they could handle the load. In the end, they had to regretfully restrict service.

I looked at the backend of gnome-weather and it uses/used Norwegian Met data which has a policy of making the data freely available:

https://www.met.no/en/free-meteorological-data

Aravisian

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:48:50 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I looked at the backend of gnome-weather and it uses/used Norwegian Met data which has a policy of making the data freely available:

https://www.met.no/en/free-meteorological-data

Well, that one does. :P
Accuweather, Weather Underground, National Weather Service and Weather.com all made the changes I outlined above - which were the commonly accessed ones.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:49:46 pm

Yes I know, that is why I was surprised to see that in Ubuntu 20.04 has ditched gnome-weather, doesn't come with one installed but the common one on offer uses 'Meteo' and it's backend looks like is supported by darksky.com - normally a subscription channel so interesting to see how long that survives! :D

Finston Pickle

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:43:46 pm

I came to this post a little earlier than the current end point and was encouraged.

My open weather had stopped working and has been deleted, but I was encouraged to give it another shot based on the Gnome extension.

The Gnome extension downloaded - but where did the sucker go?

Also how do you open it and how an API used to retrieve information - I received my default key OK, but how do I know which towns are covered by the service?

In the light of what you have said above am I flogging a dead horse? Also, Meteo does not seem to be available for Zorin12.04.

Is there anything that I can try?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:53:59 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:I came to this post a little earlier than the current end point and was encouraged.

My open weather had stopped working and has been deleted, but I was encouraged to give it another shot based on the Gnome extension.

The Gnome extension downloaded - but where did the sucker go?

Also how do you open it and how an API used to retrieve information - I received my default key OK, but how do I know which towns are covered by the service?

In the light of what you have said above am I flogging a dead horse? Also, Meteo does not seem to be available for Zorin12.04.

Is there anything that I can try?

Your api key will be for your specific location with openweather. If you open the application extension, select settings then on the second tab where the whitebar has obliterated my personal api key, put yours there:

Weather provider.jpg

Your geolocation provider should be the same as in the screenshot:

geolocation provider.jpg

;) :D

smhardesty

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22:46 pm

I'm going to guess you guys are either running Zorin Ultimate, or have used Core or Lite and then installed something other than XFCE for your DE. I'm running Lite with the default XFCE. My weather is from the information plugin for the Xfce4 panel. It has worked pretty well since I did the initial install. There was one day it reported 94% relative humidity, but the fact was that the humidity was only around 30% or so. Other than that, it seems to be working just fine. For full weather info I have 30 or so weather type web pages bookmarked. I use to be an observer for the NWS, an observer for CoCoRaHS, and a storm chaser. I've stopped all that, but still want/need weather data readily available.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:21:19 pm

There is a Terminal Solution if people prefer - not aesthetic but something to consider:

Code:
curl wttr.in

curl wttr.in.jpg

Aravisian

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:21:06 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:There is a Terminal Solution if people prefer - not aesthetic but something to consider:

Code:
curl wttr.in

curl wttr.in.jpg

That can be made into a pretty, pretty conky

Finston Pickle

Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:36:27 pm

Hi Swarf,

Thanks for the tip.

I got things working by finding the openweather in Gnome tweek tool extensions.

I Put my API in only to be met by "invalid API recreate the API" or some such notification (How do you capture those notifications texts, I wonder).

It is a week or two since I received the API, but nothing said it would expire in its e-mail.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:03:39 pm

Are you certain you have selected openweather in the backend? The key should not expire - have you tried copying and pasting ensuring you haven't copied a space either end of the key? ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:07:09 pm

Some confusion possible here, Swarf.

My "backend" - would this be Openweather > geolocation provider? It is set to https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ - just like in your second screenshot.

Your last post seemend to suggest that it should be something else - but what?

Or - do I put my openweather API in the box under the provider?

Thanks.

P.S I copied my API key directly from the openweather e-mail.

openweather > weather provider set to https://openweathermap.org

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13:30 pm

Hi Finston,

Sorry for late reply - having Internet issues ... again!!! Can I ask you to also check the version of the extension? Mine says Version: 97.

Also have you got the Use extensions api-key for openweathermap.org switched to 'ON'?

Finston Pickle

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:10:21 pm

Hi Swarf,

Version 97 for me as well.

and

Use extensions api-key for openweathermap.org is switched to "ON".

I notice that I have a location for "Manchester, England default" even before my API has been accepted this time around.

It was probably left from before I removed Openweather.

I wonder if I should delete it?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04:38 pm

Delete the extension or opeweather app? :?

Finston Pickle

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:51:35 pm

Swarf,

Actually it was the Openweather > location for "Manchester, England default" (It is there even before my API has been accepted this time around).

It was probably left from before I removed Openweather.

Thanks for your input.

Finston Pickle

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:23:40 pm

I made the mistake of deleting the Openweather > location for "Manchester, England default" and immediately got another notification that the location had to be reset (as well as the "invalid API recreate the API" or some such notification).

Problems, problems.

I also had deleted some random foreign location which had shown me the format of the location co-ordinates.

In a panic, I opened the openweather website (to use its location feature) - which immediately asked permission to access my location. Permission granted, I was ablle to find my actual location and co-ordinates. Surprisingly, I was also able to access all the weatherinformation for my location.

I entered my actual location and co-ordinates thus obtained and - Blow Me - both the notifications from Openweather stopped popping up.

So the Openweather extension appears to be working - but how do I use it?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:34:49 pm

Juast turn it on and it should appear in the panel as per previous screenshot I submitted. ;) :D

ZorinJIUK

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:08:16 pm

I eventually found a superb weather application. It's called a double glazed window LOL. Thanks. I am here all week.

Aravisian

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:12:19 am

ZorinJIUK wrote:I eventually found a superb weather application. It's called a double glazed window LOL. Thanks. I am here all week.

I am embarrassed to admit that I did not get this right away... :?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:16:39 pm

ZorinJIUK wrote:I eventually found a superb weather application. It's called a double glazed window LOL. Thanks. I am here all week.

But does it open so you can lick your thumb and find out which way the wind is blowing! :lol:

Finston Pickle

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:33:36 pm

Latest update:

Having read your latest posting, Swarf, I turned Openweather ON/OFF and Back to ON in gnome tweak tool.

Openweather window is still there as in your screenshot....

...BUT still no actual weather information - and no obvious way of switching it on to see the details of my local weather.

In the meantime I had discovered another thing:

After leaving my laptop and coming back to the lockscreen, I discoverd a group of six or seven notifications from Openweather to the effect that it was loading - it never did.

The next day I stumbled across a new anticlockwise arrow bottom right on the bar with the big Z on the left.

It was another notification saying please wait - loading - again it never did. In this notification there are various buttons which do not show their function when I hover the mouse pointer over them.

I think that they may be off, reload and settings - but who knows!

I wonder if any of these will help to get my Openweather weather flowing correctly.

P.S. I have already saved the Openweather browser location for my home address with all the info on it - but it would be nice to get the extension to work properly.