This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved]Zorin Lite 15.2 doesn't print to Samsung CLX-3185 co

wolfsee20

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:39:54 pm

I have been encouraged by "https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14828" to actually present my issue here, since it is very similar. Unfortunately, the mentioned post doesn't provide a solution, which I believe has been worked out by now.

I have installed Zorin Lite 15.2 on a Dell Insprion 1525 and on a VBox for testing as well. I installed the Samsung CLX-3185 printer via the GUI (which also appears after the command system-config-printer). With both installations I get the following printout on paper when printing the test page:
ERROR:
undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:
cp2
--nostringval--
/HT
/InitialExtGState
true

That's it. And the actual print job remains in the queue.
Printing a plain text file leads to a similar result.

Now, I have several PCs and a VBox running Zorin Lite 12.4 and printing is not an issue at all. I also tried Lubuntu 18.04 on a laptop and a VBox with no printing issues either. The installation of the printer had been accomplished in the same way as with Zorin Lite 15.2.
I even copied the entire /etc/cups directory from Lubuntu to Zorin Lite 15.2 (since it is the same cups version) with no success.

I switched on debug for cups and found "HTTP_STATE_WAITING Closing for error 32 (Broken pipe)" in /var/log/cups/error_log. I couldn't find anything helpful in the Internet to deal with it, though.
I looked at journalctl and found "Failed to create /var/spool/cups/tmp/.hplip". I found interesting sites in the Internet (https://askubuntu.com/questions/1081885/printer-stopped-working-after-upgrade-16-04-to-18-04 or https://askubuntu.com/questions/1047354/error-failed-to-create-var-spool-cups-tmp-hplip), but nothing has helped so far.

Unfortunately, I am coming to the end of my Linux abilities. So, I would appreciate some help to get the printer running so that I can upgrade all my Zorin Lite 12.4 installations to Zorin Lite 15.2. I still like Zorin better than Lubuntu, since I am a partial convert from Windows, but if a printer doesn't work, it just doesn't work.
Thanks in advance!

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:20:34 pm

Have you downloaded the linux driver for it?:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/se ... s/17156898

Click on chose different OS - select Linux then on the write, select Ubuntu - this should download the .deb package for you to install and should add it to the list of drivers.

I've downloaded the .tar.gz package extracted it and it includes a lot of .sh files for install - follow this guide to install the drivers for your printer and scanner combo:

https://www.wikihow.com/Execute-INSTALL ... g-Terminal

To ensure correct install of the printer - first remove all instances in Printers before installing the driver then install the printer using the terminal command:

Code:
xhost +si:localuser:root

Code:
pkexec system-config-printer

Then us the hp directjet method of install then look for the specific samsung generic driver from the list under Samsung printers.

Why hp are involved I will never know! ;) :D

Keep us posted!

wolfsee20

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:05:35 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
When setting up the printer, the GUI offerd a "recommended" driver, which is the same one I installed in Zorin Lite 12.4 and Lubuntu 18.04. In those two installations I have had no printing problems, just in Zorin Lite 15.2. I also compared the *.ppd and *.ppd.O files in the /etc/cups/ppd directories of Zorin Lite 15.2 and Lubuntu 18.04 with kdiff3. They are identical. As mentioned before, I even copied the entire cups directory from Lubuntu 18.04 to Zorin Lite 15.2 with no difference in results. So, the driver seemed to be correct.

However, I did download the mentioned driver from the HP website and extraced it. I executed sudo ./install.sh in the extracted directory. Both drivers (printer and scanner) have been installed successfully (according to the output).
I then the executed 'xhost +si:localuser:root' not really understandig what it does. But it didn't give me any errors.
When I executed 'pkexec system-config-printer' I got the following output:
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Unable to init server: Verbindung ist gescheitert: Connection refused
Unable to init server: Verbindung ist gescheitert: Connection refused

(system-config-printer.py:9761): Gtk-WARNING **: 15:39:15.707: cannot open display:

Since I am not sure why pkexec is needed, I tried it without: 'system-config-printer' (the unser installing the printer has administrator privilidges).
I selected the printer and chose the HP JetDirect method as suggested. It never asked me to chose a driver for the printer. I then printed the testpage ... and was very happy.

After this wonderful success, I tried to reproduce the result on a freshly installed Zorin Lite 15.2 in a VBox.
  • logged on as a user with administrator privilidges
  • driver installation: sudo ./install.sh
  • execute system-config-printer
  • Select HP JetDirect method
  • testpage comes out wonderfully
It works like a charme.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:11:38 am

Hi, I don't have Lite currently installed - guess I should put it on spare drive and play with it. I quoted pkexec as had issues in core as sudo no longer works for synaptic - that first bit of code is to give you temporary root privileges without reference to sudo - pkexec is slowly replacing sudo. ;) :D