This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing wine issues

Leon-z21

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:36:40 pm

Hello to all! :D
I tried to install wine stable based on their official site in ZorinOS lite. My first question is which version ubuntu should I choose to add the repository (I chose 18.04 version). Nevertheless, this was not the problem as when I finally tried to install wine, an error occurred that notified me of broken packages. To be more specific Terminal wrote that winehq-stable depends on wine-stable. I tried to search and install the package (ubuntu 18.04 version), yet again I had the same problem: this packages now depends on wine-stable-i386 and wine-stable-amd54. Long story short I found that I cannot install wine-stable-i386 as it need libc6:i386 to be higher or equal than the 2.29 version. The thing is I cannot upgrade it in this version. My main question is if there is a way to install wine on ZorinOs lite. Is there any solution of my problem?

Thanks in advance!

Terminal notifications:
(PCNAME):~$ sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable (= 5.0.1~focal)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
(PC NAME):~$ sudo apt-get install wine-stable
Building dependency tree

wine-stable : Depends: wine-stable-i386 (= 5.0.1~focal)
Depends: wine-stable-amd64 (= 5.0.1~focal) but 3.0.3~sid is to be installed
(PC NAME):~$ sudo apt-get install wine-stable-i386
Building dependency tree

wine-stable-i386:i386 : Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.29) but 2.28-0ubuntu1+zorin4 is to be installed
Depends: libvkd3d1:i386 (>= 1.0) but it is not installable

Update: I noticed in synaptic that zorin-windows-app-support is broken.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:12:15 pm

Firstly, purge anything to do with wine - install Synaptic Package Manager if not installed then to launch it:

Code:
xhost +si:localuser:root

then

Code:
pkexec synaptic

You will be asked for your login password to elevate you to 'root' (administrator) to launch Synaptic Package Manager - then search for wine then mark all packages for removal and select 'Apply' on the main menu. Then whilst still as root, launch another instance of terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then reboot.

Next go to https://www.7-zip.org and download the 32-bit windows executable file - right-click on it and select properties, go to 'permissions' tab and allow it to run as executable by check marking the box in that tab. Then close the properties window now right-click and you will be asked to use 'Install using Windows Application installer' or something similar - select yest and then all the correct packages should be pulled down - if it doesn't then Lite does not support it properly. ;) :D

Leon-z21

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:39:08 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Firstly, purge anything to do with wine - install Synaptic Package Manager if not installed then to launch it:

Code:
xhost +si:localuser:root

then

Code:
pkexec synaptic

You will be asked for your login password to elevate you to 'root' (administrator) to launch Synaptic Package Manager - then search for wine then mark all packages for removal and select 'Apply' on the main menu. Then whilst still as root, launch another instance of terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then reboot.

Next go to https://www.7-zip.org and download the 32-bit windows executable file - right-click on it and select properties, go to 'permissions' tab and allow it to run as executable by check marking the box in that tab. Then close the properties window now right-click and you will be asked to use 'Install using Windows Application installer' or something similar - select yest and then all the correct packages should be pulled down - if it doesn't then Lite does not support it properly. ;) :D

Thank you for the quick reply. I purged wine, then installed and executed synaptic but I could not find wine packages.I assumed that there were not there so I continued as you said and updated. Finally I tried the zip.exe fie, yet, an error for package dependences popped up. That means that there is not support?(In other words I cannot do anything about it?)

Error message:
Package dependencies cannot be resolved

This error could be caused by required additional software packages which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed at the same time.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:19:33 am

Yes, Wine5 is compatible and you should be able to install it on Zorin - Most installations go smoothly. Let's try a method of installation and if it fails, see if we can figure out why it did.
First, open Synaptic, click the "Status" option, then "Broken". Select any broken packages by right clicking them and select "Remove completely".
Then click "apply". Once finished, please close Synaptic down.
Can you then follow these terminal commands below and see if it works (Zorin 15)?

Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Code:
wget -qO- https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

Leon-z21

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:41:21 am

Aravisian wrote:Yes, Wine5 is compatible and you should be able to install it on Zorin - Most installations go smoothly. Let's try a method of installation and if it fails, see if we can figure out why it did.
First, open Synaptic, click the "Status" option, then "Broken". Select any broken packages by right clicking them and select "Remove completely".
Then click "apply". Once finished, please close Synaptic down.
Can you then follow these terminal commands below and see if it works (Zorin 15)?

Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Code:
wget -qO- https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

Hello and thank you for your reply.
I searched in synaptic for broken packages but there was not such an option, which I find it weird since this is the error that prevents the installation. I only found two packages from wine that were "upgradable". I deleted them and followed the installation process you wrote (which was the same that I did before) and still got the same message.
Note that I use ZorinOS lite

Code:
(PCNAME): ~$     sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Building dependency tree       

Any ideas :?: :idea:

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:15:48 am

You don't need synaptic! If you download a simple windows executable like 7-zip it will pull all of the dependencies down for you - Mono and gecko installers. :roll:

Aravisian

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:53:49 am

Why is it trying to pull from Focal instead of Bionic Beaver?

Leon-z21

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:01:41 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You don't need synaptic! If you download a simple windows executable like 7-zip it will pull all of the dependencies down for you - Mono and gecko installers. :roll:

I understand. Nevertheless, when I tried to run 7-zip as you told me before and this message popped up:
Error message:

This error could be caused by required additional software packages which are missing or not installable. Furthermore there could be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed at the same time.

Leon-z21

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:03:47 pm

Aravisian wrote:

Why is it trying to pull from Focal instead of Bionic Beaver?

That I do not know, I followed the instructions and pasted the commands in terminal but every time I try this, this is the result.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:18:43 pm

Leon-z21 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:You don't need synaptic! If you download a simple windows executable like 7-zip it will pull all of the dependencies down for you - Mono and gecko installers. :roll:

I understand. Nevertheless, when I tried to run 7-zip as you told me before and this message popped up:
Error message:

Strange - see what happens if you try to install this shareware application which I would normally use at work in Windows - this is how I got Wine installed recently in Feren OS:

gpaper421.zip
(365.37 KiB)

Extract it, right-click the executable and select the run with Windows Application Installer - it should pull everything down for wine-stable. - You may need to alter the permission to run as executable first as outlined previously. Did you download the 64-bit version of 7-zip? No 64-bit application for Windows will run in Wine. ;) :D

Leon-z21

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:20:16 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Leon-z21 wrote:

Error message:

Strange - see what happens if you try to install this shareware application which I would normally use at work in Windows - this is how I got Wine installed recently in Feren OS:

gpaper421.zip

Extract it, right-click the executable and select the run with Windows Application Installer - it should pull everything down for wine-stable. - You may need to alter the permission to run as executable first as outlined previously. Did you download the 64-bit version of 7-zip? No 64-bit application for Windows will run in Wine. ;) :D

I downloaded the 32-bit version :)
Ok I now update my situation, I am not sure how I did it but I believe I installed wine, winetricks and playonlinux via synaptic and did not have an issue. I tried to install steam from playonlinux in order to download any necessary tools and test if it works and I did not have any problem. However, when I try to install 7zip 32bit version and now gpaper nothing happens. I right click and select Install from windows applications click ok and then it just vanishes without any installation. I am not sure if wine and winetricks work, how can I test it?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:16:43 pm

Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
winecfg

This should bring up the configuration window of Wine - it defaults to Windows 7 - you can change this to earlier or newer versions of Windows. For example if you have an old Windows game that ran on XP then choose XP as the OS in the config - but be warned, not all games work in wine, which I suspect you already know. ;) :D

Leon-z21

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:41:30 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
winecfg

This should bring up the configuration window of Wine - it defaults to Windows 7 - you can change this to earlier or newer versions of Windows. For example if you have an old Windows game that ran on XP then choose XP as the OS in the config - but be warned, not all games work in wine, which I suspect you already know. ;) :D

Thank you for your help, wine windows configuration opened when I typed the command, meaning that I can use it. The rest now is up to me (learn how to use it and install any windows programs). My advice for anyone that has the same problem is to use synaptic in order to install any package that relates to wine. I do not know why but for me anything that needs to be installed in order to run wine cannot be installed via terminal. Synaptic did the trick.

Leon-z21

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:08:58 pm

ok I hope I do not ask too many questions but I have another one. In the Zorin menu when I type wine winetricks, playonlinux and run wine with gears icon shows up. However, when I click run wine nothing happens. This is also the case when I right click a program and select run program to run the exe file (there is no run wine only run program with the same icon. Shall I ignore this fact and search focus to use winetricks more or the installation was not correct?

Status update: There are some wine packages like winestable that I cannot still install as it says it is broken. However I have winetricks and playonlinux running without any problem (I tested playonlinux by installing steam). I am not sure if I can say I can run Windows programs for now.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:52:33 pm

If you want to check what Windows apps and games run in WiNE then you need to check out Codeweavers - the commercial arm of the WINE devs:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/

Steam:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... over/steam

carmar

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:17:56 am

You can try a removal and reinstallation. Look at the 5th post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15415