This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Audio doesn't start

matto

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:01:24 pm

Hello
Every time I start the computer I have to go to the system monitor and kill the audio process.
After doing that it reloads and at that moment you can listen to the audio.
Why does this happen?
Audio start "sleeping"

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:36:44 pm

Hi, if you mean the login sound, I think I only ever got that to work once on an old notebook - having said that I have a 'unique' setup - when I installed the initial release of 15 my onboard sound card was not compatible with Ubuntu 18.04 which 15 is based on. So I purchased a Soundblaster Audigy Rx 5.1 Surround sound card - which meant I had to blacklist both the onboard audio (even though it was not compatible) and also the HDMI connection - and then I had to install Alsa on top of Pulse in order to get any sound! I get login sound on FerenOS so I don't know why it fails in Zorin. ;) :D

Aravisian

Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:47:22 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, if you mean the login sound, I think I only ever got that to work once on an old notebook

If you install Mate on Zorin, or Cinnamon on Zorin, the login sounds appear. Additionally, the sounds for when you hold backspace until it runs out of room also appears.
When I removed Mate, the sounds remained and it drove me crazy trying to figure out how to get rid of them.
In the end, I re-installed.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:19:57 pm

If it were possible to have audio at the login prompt I would have the one that comes with Ultimate Editon Oz Diamond BII! "Welcome. Please identify yourself". :D

Aravisian

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36:57 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:If it were possible to have audio at the login prompt I would have the one that comes with Ultimate Editon Oz Diamond BII! "Welcome. Please identify yourself". :D

I assure you - it is possible. It blasted me out of the chair when I had no idea that there even was a login sound and had the volume set to max (since the speakers had not played any sounds before).

zabadabadoo

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:06:20 pm

On occasions I have no sound after a startup (Zorin 15Core). I sort of know I am not goung to get sound if there is not a little "pop" through the speakers during the startup.
After a trying many things in true elimination diagnostic methology, I now find if I go to settings>sound and waggle the volume slider frantically from max to min a few times, I then get sound back. i.e. verified using speaker test and playing music. Strange but true.
I am not suggesting as a solution for matto's problem, as sometimes it is not a solution for my problem. Bit like "Do you feel lucky punk?".

Aravisian

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:15:38 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:On occasions I have no sound after a startup (Zorin 15Core). I sort of know I am not goung to get sound if there is not a little "pop" through the speakers during the startup.
After a trying many things in true elimination diagnostic methology, I now find if I go to settings>sound and waggle the volume slider frantically from max to min a few times, I then get sound back. i.e. verified using speaker test and playing music. Strange but true.
I am not suggesting as a solution for matto's problem, as sometimes it is not a solution for my problem. Bit like "Do you feel lucky punk?".

EDIT: In a hurry, I placed this response in the Wrong Thread. It belongs over here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15848&p=72223#p72223
Oops...O_o

-Saved for Posterity-You might run
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

and check what packages are being offered. You may also hit "y" on that terminal to see if it upgrades successfully.
If anything fails, you can then check which packages did. You could then try installing them with manually, if needed.
-/close Embarrassment

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:20:57 pm

I would see if you can install ALSA modules - I couldn't get any sound out of audio in FerenOS either until I did this and get the login sound. ;) :D