This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved]Text next to icons in panel (taskbar) in Lite 15.2

wolfsee20

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:32:37 pm

I am running Zorin Lite 15.2 (and 12.4). From Windows I am used to having text next to the icons on the buttons of the open apps in the taskbar. I am also used to grouping but still having one individual button for each opened app.
As far as I understand this issue has never been answered fully here: https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11470&p=51280&hilit=taskbar+text+icon#p51280
I understand that Zorin Lite seems to run somewhat two taskbars (panels). Besides the main panel (xfce4-panel 4.14.3) there is a nested panel called dockbarx. I have been searching the Internet to find ways how to adjust the settings for those taskbars to meet my wishes, but I have not been successful in finding what I want for either of those two panels. The GUI doesn't seem to provide options about grouping and text next to the icons (supposingly, in the GUI panel preferences > items there should be a button called "Windows Buttons" to make some adjustments, but not in Zorin Lite) and with configuration files I don't trust myself without clear instructions.

Question no. 1: Is it possible to accomplish what I want with either xfce4-panel or dockbarx? If yes, how would I do this?
Question no. 2: Is there another panel that would be able to provide the desired features? And if so, how do I change from the installed panel to the new one?

Aravisian

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:17:45 pm

You might try opening your panel preferences, going to items and then adding "Window Buttons" to panel. Position as you like.

wolfsee20

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:49:42 pm

Thank you very much. I had to read your post twice to understand. I always assumed that there was a "Windows" Buttons" button already there. Until now I never understood that "Windows Buttons" is a plugin. Well, I guess we can call that mental blindness.
Now I have text next to the icons and it seems to group the way I want it. Things can be so easy. I am grateful.

Aravisian

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:08:11 pm

wolfsee20 wrote:Thank you very much. I had to read your post twice to understand. I always assumed that there was a "Windows" Buttons" button already there. Until now I never understood that "Windows Buttons" is a plugin. Well, I guess we can call that mental blindness.
Now I have text next to the icons and it seems to group the way I want it. Things can be so easy. I am grateful.

I am sorry. Sometimes, when something is familiar, we forget to be clear describing it as unfamiliar to another person.
Glad you got it sorted out. In hindsight- it seems so simple, right? Yet, you need to Know It Was There to use it. It took me months to find it, myself...
XFCE does, admittedly, have some settings in strange places. It can seem a little bit scattered at times. Because of this, a user can often feel disoriented as to where to go or what to do in which settings to get the desired result.