This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New Computer (Video Card) Blues

gerj52

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:36:21 pm

Sure hope someone can help me ... I just bought a new computer, an Intel NUC Haydes Canyon, with onboard Radeon RX Vega M video. With this graphics, an I7 processor and 32GB RAM I shouldn't have any problems with games. BUT I do! trying to playing an online shooter and all it does is shudder, jit and micro freeze making it useless to play. It plays fine in Windows, but I don't want Windows. So, if one of you Zorin gurus can tell me what logs you need and give them the once over then hopefully help me to solve it. I would be ever so grateful. Also, using a fresh install of Zorin 15.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:11:13 pm

No guarantees, but follow the advice in this thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1090584 ... -vega-m-gl

gerj52

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:46:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm not very terminal smart and keep getting errors. BUT, I will keep trying.
I love using Zorin but if I cannot get this working guess I'll have to go back to Windows.
Thanks again Swarfendor

Aravisian

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10:26 pm

The terminal is one of the most powerful tools in using any computer. While it does take learning as well as getting used to after years of GUI influence, the sheer magnitude of open possibilities it allows that a GUI never could means for me, there is no going back to life before terminal commands and UI commands.
A video card has its own processor and is in ways, a miniature Motherboard of its own. Much of the hardware out there is built with Windows in mind and is programmed with software of its own that the Operating System of your computer must them communicate with. The Video Card does not run off your MotherBoard and OS fully, rather, your M.B. and OS communicate with it. If anything inhibits that communication, trouble can result. And using a non-Windows O.S. means that you run a higher risk that there will be a commo issue with a Windows-minded video card.
Radeon is well supported with Linux, normally, so I bet if we keep searching, we can have some luck.

gerj52

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:12:09 am

Thanks for the encouragement Aravisian.
I'm not going anywhere, just have to play my games in Windows for now.
As I said, I am thoroughly enjoying Zorin (have for almost a year now) so not ready to completely give it up.
I have used the terminal with youtube guidence to accomplish some tasks but am still a complete novice with it.
I am hopeful that a solution will be found and then I can return to playing my games on Zorin.
Thanks again

Aravisian

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:27:13 pm

Do the tips posted in either of these look familiar as things you have tried:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1090584 ... -vega-m-gl

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/c ... 4_step_by/

gerj52

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:24:18 pm

First link didn't work.
Second link looks promising, will try tonight or tomorrow.
Main problem is understanding what I'm supposed to be doing.
After a quick look, the second link look a lot more step by step (This I can do as long as they are clear). :-)
Will let you know; thanks again.

gerj52

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:03:41 pm

Link 2 didn't work, I get so far and the go dead in the water when I hit 'File Not Found' errors.

Aravisian

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:32:42 pm

gerj52 wrote:Link 2 didn't work, I get so far and the go dead in the water when I hit 'File Not Found' errors.

At which point did you get these errors? After which command?

gerj52

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:05:33 pm

Okay! I am able to update firmware without problems.
Tried installing ukuu ... add repository - done; update - done; install ukuu - file not found.
I have kernel version version 5.3.0-61 so figure ukuu step is unnecessary.
Moving on to the next stage and these are the results ...

gerj@gerj:~$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x5b cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 6 outputs: 6 associated providers: 1 name:Unknown AMD Radeon GPU @ pci:0000:01:00.0
Provider 1: id: 0x96 cap: 0x4, Source Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 0 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting

gerj@gerj:~$ env DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
env: ‘glxinfo’: No such file or directory

That's as far as I get. Don't really know what I'm doing from here on.

Aravisian

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:12:37 am

gerj52 wrote:Okay! I am able to update firmware without problems.
Tried installing ukuu ... add repository - done; update - done; install ukuu - file not found.
I have kernel version version 5.3.0-61 so figure ukuu step is unnecessary.
Moving on to the next stage and these are the results ...

gerj@gerj:~$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x5b cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 6 outputs: 6 associated providers: 1 name:Unknown AMD Radeon GPU @ pci:0000:01:00.0
Provider 1: id: 0x96 cap: 0x4, Source Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 0 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting

gerj@gerj:~$ env DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
env: ‘glxinfo’: No such file or directory

That's as far as I get. Don't really know what I'm doing from here on.

Ukuu is just a GUI program to assist in changing the kernel version being used. Synaptic can perform the same function. Ukuu, while well written by one of the best... Is nagware. For some reason. It harangues you non-stop about the latest version being available.

"env: ‘glxinfo’: No such file or directory"
This is odd. glxinfo is included in the distro. I just tested it on mine, and it ran smoothly.
Can you run in terminal
Code:
lspci -k

and paste the output here?