This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wrong monitor size + display doesn't fit TV screen

newatlinux00

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06:11 am

Hi,

I'm new to Linux. and just installed the latest zorin os alongside windows... I have a display issue with my zorin os . I've connected my old laptop (amd graphics) over HDMI to 24" TV monitor.

I've checked the display properties and I can see that zorin does not detect that I have a samsung TV but it detects a 32" screen. I don't know how to change that. the display with resolution 1920*1080 works fine on windows but when using zorin, and setting the display to the same resolution the result is very bad.

I looked for solution (xrandr.....) but couldn't find anything that helped solve the problem please what can i do to make it work ?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02:28 pm

Hi, I think this has come up before - await one of the forum members to contribute to this. Thanks. ;) :D

newatlinux00

Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:18:04 pm

Please can you tell which post have the solution ?

mdiemer

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:03:13 pm

It would help if you told us what kind of machine you have, the specs in other words. also, what version of windows is working on it?

newatlinux00

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:26:11 pm

mdiemer wrote:It would help if you told us what kind of machine you have, the specs in other words. also, what version of windows is working on it?

Thank you for replying I am using an old toshiba laptop :
win7
intel i3-2312M CPU @ 2.1 GHz, 2100 mhz 2 cores 4 logical processors
8gb ram
amd graphics card HD7500/7600 series

Aravisian

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:20:10 pm

newatlinux00 wrote: I have a samsung TV?

This may be where the conflict is. Ubuntu Derived O.S.'s commonly run into trouble with Samsung Televisions.
Can you try running the following in terminal, then reboot?
Code:
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0

Please reply if the above helps or not.

newatlinux00

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:01:45 pm

Aravisian wrote:
newatlinux00 wrote: I have a samsung TV?

This may be where the conflict is. Ubuntu Derived O.S.'s commonly run into trouble with Samsung Televisions.
Can you try running the following in terminal, then reboot?
Code:
export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0

Please reply if the above helps or not.

Hi, thank you for replying
I added the command and restarted nothing happened
I also added sudo but it said command don't exist

mdiemer

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:33:00 pm

Your specs are fine, the problem must be as Swarf says, with the fact that the TV is a Samsung. I would try searching on the Ubuntu forum as there likely is some good stuff there on it. In fact, just do a general web search (with duck duck go, of course - avoid google at all costs). Many's the time I did so and found the answer on the Ubuntu forum, even for other operating systems.

Also, when entering commands in terminal, if you copy and paste, make sure you don't capture any quotation or other marks, just the command, nothing else. Commands have to be 100% accurate.

Finston Pickle

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:28:33 pm

Yes, finding out the native resolution of both the sending and receiving device screens is a good starting point.

If xrandr has those two values as standard, use them as suggested.

If one/both does not exist, create it in line with my previous posting - there are several copies of it in the timeline.

Here is one - have a quiet read through and explore:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13594

newatlinux00

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09:33 pm

mdiemer wrote:Your specs are fine, the problem must be as Swarf says, with the fact that the TV is a Samsung. I would try searching on the Ubuntu forum as there likely is some good stuff there on it. In fact, just do a general web search (with duck duck go, of course - avoid google at all costs). Many's the time I did so and found the answer on the Ubuntu forum, even for other operating systems.

Also, when entering commands in terminal, if you copy and paste, make sure you don't capture any quotation or other marks, just the command, nothing else. Commands have to be 100% accurate.

I looked for solutions on all linux distro forums but all of them either didn't work properly or straight out messed the display also I tried all this distro with the same problem linux mint 20, ubuntu,elemntory,mxlinux,zorin lite.
I am really lost.

Aravisian

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:17:15 pm

Then we are all back to : Samsung T.V.

mdiemer

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:45:39 pm

Have you tried any older (but still supported) Linux systems? for example, Zorin 12, Ubuntu 18 or 16 (both have 5 year support so even 16 is still supported). Sometimes this can solve the problem.

On the other hand you may need to bit the bullet and use a different monitor. Or only use with windows (not recommended, of course).

newatlinux00

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:00:45 pm

mdiemer wrote:Have you tried any older (but still supported) Linux systems? for example, Zorin 12, Ubuntu 18 or 16 (both have 5 year support so even 16 is still supported). Sometimes this can solve the problem.

On the other hand you may need to bit the bullet and use a different monitor. Or only use with windows (not recommended, of course).

I haven't tried them yet
which one do you recommend I use first ?

newatlinux00

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:01:30 pm

Aravisian wrote:Then we are all back to : Samsung T.V.

It's really discouraging :(

newatlinux00

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:02:20 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:Yes, finding out the native resolution of both the sending and receiving device screens is a good starting point.

If xrandr has those two values as standard, use them as suggested.

If one/both does not exist, create it in line with my previous posting - there are several copies of it in the timeline.

Here is one - have a quiet read through and explore:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13594

Thank you I looked at it but the result still the same

Aravisian

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:42:29 pm

newatlinux00 wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Then we are all back to : Samsung T.V.

It's really discouraging :(

It is... I think everyone on here has felt that at one time or another.
Windows is the Dominant O.S. and much of hardware today communicates with your PC rather than being run by your PC (So-called, Smart T.V.). Much of this hardware is built and programmed with Windows in mind,not Linux.
The best solution is: More users on Linux. But it is a catch-22 as many users of Linux immediately get discouraged and instead, switch back to the M$ O.S.

But one of the beauties of Linux is the independent development is larger in the Linux crowd.

You might try checking settings on the T.V. and looking for "enhanced" under the HDMI settings. Or "scale to computer inputs".You may try ensuring that "HDMI UHD Color" is nabled- If you have any of these settings.

mdiemer

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:46:36 pm

newatlinux00 wrote:
mdiemer wrote:Have you tried any older (but still supported) Linux systems? for example, Zorin 12, Ubuntu 18 or 16 (both have 5 year support so even 16 is still supported). Sometimes this can solve the problem.

I haven't tried them yet

Well, if you want to stay with Zorin, you could give Zorin 12 a try. Another older and still-supported system that works well is Linux Lite 3.8. Understand that this is just a shot in the dark. If it works, great. If not, we learn something.

newatlinux00

Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:35:40 pm

mdiemer wrote:
newatlinux00 wrote:

I haven't tried them yet

Well, if you want to stay with Zorin, you could give Zorin 12 a try. Another older and still-supported system that works well is Linux Lite 3.8. Understand that this is just a shot in the dark. If it works, great. If not, we learn something.

Thanks I will give it shot