This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Freezes randomly

AltJawga

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:20:16 pm

Hello, I have been using Zorin OS for a while and I really like it. It has replaced windows 10 completely for me; however, today a problem started. While I am using the computer it will freeze and the only way to fix it is by doing a hard reboot. The only thing that has changed is that I am using brave browser instead of vivaldi and I installed discord. I think the problem is related to discord because I had brave installed for a couple of days before discord and I didn't have any issues. Every time the computer has frozen discord has been open because I leave it open while I play games. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aravisian

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:52:12 pm

AltJawga wrote:Hello, I have been using Zorin OS for a while and I really like it. It has replaced windows 10 completely for me; however, today a problem started. While I am using the computer it will freeze and the only way to fix it is by doing a hard reboot. The only thing that has changed is that I am using brave browser instead of vivaldi and I installed discord. I think the problem is related to discord because I had brave installed for a couple of days before discord and I didn't have any issues. Every time the computer has frozen discord has been open because I leave it open while I play games. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you use Nvidia drivers?
Can you check the memory usage of discord when you leave it running? Do you tend to leave Discord running while it is not in use?
Brave Browser is a build of Chrome Browser and Chrome is known to be related to Random Freeze, as well.
While it is possible that Discord could be related, it may also be a coincidence.

Commonly, the issue can be resolved by rolling your kernel back to the last Generic release. In your case, it may be kernel 5.0.0 Generic. If using Nvidia, you may need to switch drivers. I would start with checking for a memory leak and if you find none, roll back the kernel.
Please reply in the thread after you have done these and let us know what the results were.

I am with you- Zorin 100% replaced Windows for me and I have never looked back.

AltJawga

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:46:11 pm

I haven't tried rolling back my kernel or switching drivers, but here is a screenshot of discord's memory usage as it is running. Most of the time discord is running I am not using it because I leave it on in the background while playing games. I am currently using the recommended proprietary Nvidia driver-440. Should I try rolling the kernel back or switching the drivers since I use the nvidia drivers?

AltJawga

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:59:23 pm

It just froze again, but this time the game I was playing turned green and black. The game uses java. Since the game turned green and black are the drivers the most likely problem?

Aravisian

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:00:10 pm

AltJawga wrote:Image
I haven't tried rolling back my kernel or switching drivers, but here is a screenshot of discord's memory usage as it is running. Most of the time discord is running I am not using it because I leave it on in the background while playing games. I am currently using the recommended proprietary Nvidia driver-440. Should I try rolling the kernel back or switching the drivers since I use the nvidia drivers?

You may try switching to open source graphics drivers first since rolling the kernel back MAY affect more than just graphics.

AltJawga

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:14:21 pm

Ok, so I tried every graphics driver listed under additional drivers. The open source drivers were unusable as the screen became extremely zoomed in. All versions of the proprietary drivers that I tried didn't help. Also brave and discord aren't responsible as they weren't running. So its either the kernel or the java game.

Aravisian

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:20:07 am

AltJawga wrote:Ok, so I tried every graphics driver listed under additional drivers. The open source drivers were unusable as the screen became extremely zoomed in. All versions of the proprietary drivers that I tried didn't help. Also brave and discord aren't responsible as they weren't running. So its either the kernel or the java game.

I did not catch the answer earlier to the question of whether you are using Nvidia drivers.
Also- Is Zorin installed solely on the drive or is it still dual boot with Windows (I know you said that it replaced Windows for you, but it may be still installed...)?

AltJawga

Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:21:38 pm

Aravisian wrote:
AltJawga wrote:Ok, so I tried every graphics driver listed under additional drivers. The open source drivers were unusable as the screen became extremely zoomed in. All versions of the proprietary drivers that I tried didn't help. Also brave and discord aren't responsible as they weren't running. So its either the kernel or the java game.

I did not catch the answer earlier to the question of whether you are using Nvidia drivers.
Also- Is Zorin installed solely on the drive or is it still dual boot with Windows (I know you said that it replaced Windows for you, but it may be still installed...)?

Sorry for not responding before, I was gone for the weekend so I didn't have access to my PC. Zorin is still dual boot with windows, I keep it in case I need it for certain applications.