This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Older HP Desktop Shutdown Issue

2guntom

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:57:46 am

I acquired an older HP Pavilion a6303w desktop computer. I "upgraded" it to an Intel Core2 Duo and 4GB of RAM. I just hate seeing something usable thrown away. I intend to use this as a "loaner" if someone needs a pc, or if they want to try THE BEST OS in the world, ZORIN ULTIMATE, of course...

Zorin Ultimate runs fine (of course).

But, it takes 2 minutes and 12 seconds to start. Maybe that is an issue, maybe it isn't. An SSD will be ordered when the next issue is resolved...

The computer restarts fine, but it will not shut off correctly. When it shuts down, everything stops, but the monitor stays lit, but black, and the PC power light stays on. I have to hold the power button to get it to shut all the way off.

I thought I might have a bad graphics card so I swapped it out. That didn't change anything.

Now, the Mobo has that old Vista-era "digital" audio jacks, the black and orange Motoral plugs... I'm suspecting that might be the source of a driver issue, maybe? I tried disabling the onboard audio in bios, but that didn't do anything.

What info do you need from me to get this thing running like it has Zorin, the best OS in the world powering it?

TIA

- -

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:00:10 pm

Try this (I've posted the link before):

https://youtu.be/ZZBTSUbzT0g

2guntom

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:16:48 am

Okay. Did that. It still won't shut down correctly.

Aravisian

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41:17 am

2guntom wrote:I thought I might have a bad graphics card so I swapped it out. That didn't change anything.
- -

I think you may be on the right track.
Graphics errors can cause both a slow boot and a system hang at shutdown.
I would check the Graphics Drivers. Also, try the same trick Swarfendor linked to, except put in
Code:
nomodeset

It should look like: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
The "nomodeset" will prevent the graphics driver from loading prematurely.
Which graphics are are you using and which drivers are you running on?

2guntom

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:39:02 am

Wow!

nomodeset made the resolution weird. And eventually screwed everything up...

I tried 3 different graphics cards -
1-nvidia
2-ATI
3-ATI
All 3, same problem, utilizing whatever drivers Zorin recommended or didn't.
With all 3, followed the video, no joy.
Again, nomodeset messed up the resolution, and swapping cards around eventually crashed the whole thing.
I am back to the original nvidia card and a fresh install of Zorin Lite Ultimate. I thought the "LIte" version might help, but...

I am absolutely convinced there is a hardware/driver issue, but don't know where to look.

What is the next step in this adventure?

- -

Aravisian

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:39:59 am

2guntom wrote:Wow!

nomodeset made the resolution weird. And eventually screwed everything up...

I tried 3 different graphics cards -
1-nvidia
2-ATI
3-ATI
All 3, same problem, utilizing whatever drivers Zorin recommended or didn't.
With all 3, followed the video, no joy.
Again, nomodeset messed up the resolution, and swapping cards around eventually crashed the whole thing.
I am back to the original nvidia card and a fresh install of Zorin Lite Ultimate. I thought the "LIte" version might help, but...

I am absolutely convinced there is a hardware/driver issue, but don't know where to look.

What is the next step in this adventure?

- -

This user just posted about issues with HP Notebooks:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15942&p=72831#p72831
I think if you tried three different cards with the same result - It cannot be the cards themselves.

For myself, on a different notebook, I needed to use "Legacy" and that did work.
Instead of nomodeset, you may try "acpi=force" (which is what I am using) in your Grub Default line.

I did just run a thorough search on Ubuntu shutdown freeze on HP Pavilion a6303w and HP Pavilion to see if I could find a common experience with others. Not really... The experiences and the solutions are very diverse.
Some say it is a bug, others say they solved by rolling back the Kernel, or rolling it forward. Others say that nomodeset worked. Others say other suggestions...
Others say an update to the system solved it without them doing anything, though some manually ran an update.
Sad to say, it looks like we may be looking deeper into this one for a while- Unless an update takes care of it...