This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Black screen after GRUB options when installing on laptop

Pyroglyph

Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:02:26 pm

My new laptop arrived recently and I want to install Zorin, so I turn off Secure Boot and boot to the Live USB but whenever I select one of the Install/Try GRUB options I just get a black screen. I've looked online and found something about turning on nomodeset but that's already part of the safe graphics GRUB option (which results in the same black screen) so that didn't really help. The thing is, I can install Pop OS 20.04 just fine (Pop also derives from Ubuntu).

After more research, it seems that some HP laptops (like mine) have some incorrectly set ACPI (?) setting internally that causes this issue which requires some convoluted and ill-documented extract-patch-replace process to fix. Some others have also said that enabling Legacy Support or Legacy Boot in their BIOS has worked for them, but the option is missing for me and a few others. It seems HP/Insyde may have removed it for some reason.
I've seen some people mentioning it might be NVidia drivers, but this is not the case here as my laptop has the Ryzen 4700U with Vega 10 graphics which I've heard has been supported since Kernel 5.1 (and I believe Zorin 15.2 ships with Kernel 5.3?)
I've even gone as far as installing Zorin in a VM, then cloning the virtual disk to my real one, but it won't boot. I haven't been able to figure out why yet.

I've spent too much time trying to get this to work already. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Any solutions?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:40:27 pm

Which HP Notebook is it? (Model). ;) :D