This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin Lite 15.2 on 2006 MBP: Install OK, no boot

UglyStuff

Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:33:01 pm

Hi everyone,

New here, I've managed to install Zorin Lite 15.2 (32-bit, as per the CoreDuo CPU on my 2006 MacBook Pro), and I had to create three partitions: One BIOS boot, one EFI boot, and an ext4 partition where I installed the OS.

After several attempts, I managed to finalize the install, but upon reboot, rEFInd shows me the three partitions by order of appearance, I suppose (sda3 for EFI, sda4 for BIOS and sda5 for ext4), and though I set grub to install on the EFI partition (don't ask me why, I don't know, it seemed right at the time), I can't boot on Zorin.

I've tried all three choices, and I'm always stuck with a fast-blinking horizontal cursor, but the screen remains black otherwise.

I have Snow Leopard on the OS X side, and that boots just fine, fortunately, but Zorin is a no-show.

I've tried Boot Repair from the Live USB, but it shows no progress after scanning disks; the main windows just sits there, and clicking on Quit doesn't do anything. It might be working behind the scenes, for all I know, but a progress bar there ain't.

I tried several ways to manually install grub on my sd5 (ext4) partition directly, but I always get an error message saying said partition doesn't exist.

I'm this close to ditching Zorin altogether and install Mint instead. It should be a no-brainer, but I like the look and feel of Zorin, and I'd really like to use it other than on the Live USB, which, as you can imagine, is painfully slow on a 2006 MacBook Pro with a meager 2GB of DDR2 RAM @ 667MHz...

I'm open to ideas, guys (and ladies)!

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:06:50 pm

I uploaded an article from a magazine on how to install to a Mac here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12621&hilit=+Mac+install#p55727

UglyStuff

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:06:05 am

Hi and thanks for taking the time!

I'm going to read the article alright, but last night I tried to install Mint XFCE, and when the time came to install grub, I tried to install it at the root of my SSD (/sda) instead of on either the BIOS or the EFI partition, and it worked, so I'm going to do that this morning with Zorin, because however I like Mint, it's a bit austere when compared to Zorin.

I was afraid doing this would ruin rEFInd, but it didn't. Thanks for the link and the quick reply, I'll keep you posted! Have a great one!

UglyStuff

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:46:41 am

Problem solved, install complete: As I hinted at in my previous post, I was installing grub on the wrong partition, hence my booting issues. By installing grub directly on /dev/sda, I managed to boot on Zorin Lite 15.2 alright, without messing with rEFInd, thus leaving me the option to boot on OS X if I need to.

Thanks for your help! I have another question, but I'll create a new topic for that. See ya!