This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Look changer doesn't work

Bmxracer4

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:12:23 am

Hey, my zorin 5.2 core with 11.10 ubuntu and the look changer wont change themes, I click on the the windows 7 theme and it says re-login so I do and nothing, I tryed restarting but it does not work, Also the look changer was working good until ubuntu updated from 11.04 to 11.10, Please help me :)

Wolfman

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:25:03 am

Hi,

if you just recently updated Zorin OS; did you also do the system updates??.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

Regards Wolfman :D

PS: do not double post or there is a danger that all your posts will get deleted by accident!!.

Bmxracer4

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:04:00 pm

Yeah, I did that but still did not work, The look changer opens and everything and has the 3 themes but wont work still and i have the look changer files in my home files

and sorry about the double post I did not know the mods have to read it first

madvinegar

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:35:28 pm

Wolfman, should he try the "dpkg" approach?

(Plug an ethernet cable on the PC/Laptop, reboot, from grub menu chose the recovery mode and from the new menu that will open chose and run "dpkg".)

Wolfman

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20:00 am

Hi,

try running "dpkg" as MV suggests and I have another question, did you install Zorin completely as a fresh install with formatted partitions or did you keep an older /home from another Ubuntu install and not format it!!????. (if you install a different OS other than the one you have installed; it keeps the config files which can lead to problems and headaches!!)

If the answer is yes to my question then you should do a complete install after backing up all data and start again!!.

Auldyin

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39:22 am

Bmxracer4 wrote:Hey, my zorin 5.2 core with 11.10 ubuntu and the look changer wont change themes, I click on the the windows 7 theme and it says re-login so I do and nothing, I tryed restarting but it does not work, Also the look changer was working good until ubuntu updated from 11.04 to 11.10, Please help me :)

****was working good until ubuntu updated from 11.04 to 11.10,********

Zorin 5.2 is based on Ubuntu 11.04 it wont work if you update to 11.10

Zorin 6 will be based on Ubuntu 11.10 it's expected soon

Haudyr horses till then.
Cheers Aulyin
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Bmxracer4

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56:31 pm

Ok, Well, Then is there anyway to get it working until zorin 6 is released

Wolfman Its a fresh install on a new separate partition from windows 7 and this is the first time i using/installing linux, and i try the the recovery mode thing later tonight then and let you know if it works

Thanks for the help guys

Bmxracer4

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07:28 am

Ok so the recovery mode did not work and the re-install update manager did not work too, But it did fix some the other little issues i had

Wolfman

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:26:13 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1618

Bmxracer4

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:05:19 pm

Still not working :(

Admin-Amir

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:36:02 am

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

That will fix you back.

Wolfman

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:24:16 am

Hi,

it may be a dependencies problem, firstly make sure that your download sources are set to "Main" and that all the update boxes have a tick in them and that all the PPA's are marked, then try these 2 commands and then restart your PC

sudo apt-get update

then:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

(See Ubuntu Software and Other Software in the How-To below)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Bmxracer4

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:51:23 pm

ok the sudo upgrade worked but not the sudo configure i getting a bunch of errors, I going to delete linux of my hard drive and re install zorin and see if that works

I will be using Easy BCD 2.1.2 to fix the boot manger so i can load into Windows 7 the re-installing Zorin

Thanks for your help Guys :D