This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GRUB - Update the boot menu?...

VcDeveloper

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:01:12 am

How to I update GRUB to notice my Windows 7. I previously had openSuSe as my duel booting OS. Before re-installing Zorin, I used Win 7 to wipe the HD. I hoping I don't have to re-install Windows 7, please don't tell me I have to do this, were talking about a lot of development programs.. :(

So is it possible that the GRUB can be updated?

sda1 = Win7
sdb1 = Zorin
sdc1 = Files

I did a "sudo grub-probe -t device /boot/grub" and it is installed at "/dev/sdb1"

Thanks!...

Wolfman

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:22:25 am

Hi,

try this in a terminal:

sudo update-grub

if that doesn't work, try using "Boot Repair":

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

See also:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html

Regards Wolfman :D

VcDeveloper

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:08:26 am

Hi, thanks for your help. Did a Update and Repair with no success. Didn't read through the last one yet, but this is what I get when I do an update:

Code:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-13-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-13-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/lib/os-prober/mount': No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/lib/os-prober/mount': No such file or directory
done

...and this is the url from the Repair:

Code:
Boot successfully repaired.
Please note the following URL:
   http://paste.ubuntu.com/896059/
   In case you still experience boot problem, indicate this URL to:
         boot.repair@gmail.com
or to your favorite support forum.
You can now reboot your computer.

When I try to boot directly into the Win7 HD using the F10 bios menu I get the GRUB Menu, when trying Zorin HD I get nothing but a cursor in the upper left corner. Ran the Win7 auto repair with no success either.

Any suggesting beside removing Zorin HD and trying to repair the Win7 and then install do the same with the Zorin HD?

VcDeveloper

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:42:45 am

Looking at both file systems using the Disk Util, the Win7 is the only bootable HD, doesn't the Zorin HD need to be also in order to have a dual boot OS?

VcDeveloper

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:52:09 am

Well great! I was able to fix it using the "Advance" menu of "Boot Repair" by specifically telling it to boot from the Zorin and now everything is good!

But, through the process of doing this I lost the right side of my "Start Panel" widgets. Is there a "Restore Default" settings for this?

Admin-Amir

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:54:36 am

see is the start up manager install on your system.
There you can change the and see the other systems.

madvinegar

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:46:58 am

VcDeveloper wrote:But, through the process of doing this I lost the right side of my "Start Panel" widgets. Is there a "Restore Default" settings for this?

Open terminal and write

Code:
killall gnome-panel

VcDeveloper

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:19:35 pm

Hi, thanks for your replies! :) AS I was working on other things, they just showed. But, I can say this, as I was trying to add widgets, it was not allowing me to add them to that area of the panel.

All is good now!... Thanks Again!..

VcDeveloper

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:47:26 pm

VcDeveloper wrote:Hi, thanks for your replies! :) AS I was working on other things, they just showed. But, I can say this, as I was trying to add widgets, it was not allowing me to add them to that area of the panel.

All is good now!... Thanks Again!..

Hi, this monring I had to use the command to reset my panel! Thanks! :)