This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin version help....

VcDeveloper

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:34:15 pm

Hi, my system has been updated, but I have couple of question:

1) Is there a cli to find out exactly what version of Zorin you have 5.x ?
2) Gnome 3 is out, do I wait until it becomes available for Zorin?
3) Is it safe to upgrade to 11.10 and what advantages is there in upgrading? I like my Zorin in its state now and don't what the headaches of an upgrade. Just like to know if anyone upgraded some what successfully without any major drawbacks.

Thanks!... :)

VcDeveloper

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:41:45 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Open Terminal and type at the prompt (without quotes): 'cat /etc/lsb-release'

Thanks, but this doesn't supply a minor number...

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=natty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Zorin OS 5"

...how do I get the full version number?

madvinegar

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51:35 pm

Actually swarf's terminal code is correct. To double check open terminal and write:

Code:
cat /etc/*-release

or

Code:
lsb_release -a

If you still get as reply "zorin OS 5" it means that you have zorin 5.
(i.e. I get "zorin OS 5.2")

PS: @Swarf: Zorin 5 release is stated as 5.1?

As regards your other questions:
2) Gnome 3 will be introduced in Zorin 6.
3) Zorin 6 will be based on ubuntu 12.04. If I were you I would wait and install directly the zorin 6 release when it is out. Upgrading now to gnome 3 and ubuntu 11.10 would be, in my opinion, very risky, unstable and full of kernel problems....

VcDeveloper

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:37:16 am

madvinegar wrote:Actually swarf's terminal code is correct. To double check open terminal and write:

As regards your other questions:
2) Gnome 3 will be introduced in Zorin 6.
3) Zorin 6 will be based on ubuntu 12.04. If I were you I would wait and install directly the zorin 6 release when it is out. Upgrading now to gnome 3 and ubuntu 11.10 would be, in my opinion, very risky, unstable and full of kernel problems....

Oh great, I'll wait!

....yea, it still comes up as "5", how do I properly update to "5.2", do I have to purchase it again?

madvinegar

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:09:01 am

You have to do a clean re-installation with 5.2. I think you need to buy it again (unless you download the core version), but could swarf or wolfman kindly confirm this?

VcDeveloper

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:42:36 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:If it is the premium version then yes, you would have to pay - even if you didn't pay I think you would have to download the latest and do a fresh install in respect of the Core versions. But to be honest, it is down to the Devs, AZorin and zorink - perhaps they could look at minor discounts for previous purchasers of the premium versions? :mrgreen:

I'm at a lost here, there's no upgrade to 5.2 without doing a fresh-install?, I think I'm not understanding what your saying, will this wipe everything I've done to the system and I have to reconfigure everything all over again? I don't mind purchasing to upgrade, but I don't want to do a fresh install. This doesn't sound practical. :o

madvinegar

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:14:07 pm

Yes, you cannot upgrade to 5.2. You would have to save all your data and then perform a clean installation of the 5.2 version. (and then reconfigure everything all over again).

It may not be practical but trust me, clean installations are far more stable in comparison with upgrading from one release to another.

Wolfman

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:31:57 pm

Hi,

if you have seperate root and home partitions, just format the root part and don't format your home, you still need to mount home with "/home", select something else when doing the install and only format root!!. That way, you only lose root which is no biggy!!!!!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

VcDeveloper

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:55:26 pm

:cry: Okaay...., moving all those VD's again...., is there a tut on the format root only route and in doing it this way will it create another "home" folder? My secondary Hd is a NTFS other than my Win7, this was before adding Zorin to the mix and moving those VD's back over take time. Plus, I'm nice in settled in...

Wolfman

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43:46 am

Hi,

I assume you know how to partition, when using the installer of the new OS, select "Something Else" when asked where you want to install and select your partitions manually, lets say that your current root is sda5 and your home is sda6, select sda5 as root with ext4 and format, select sda6 as home with ext4 but NO FORMAT, that way, your data will remain intact!!.

Questions??.

VcDeveloper

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:58:20 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

I assume you know how to partition, when using the installer of the new OS, select "Something Else" when asked where you want to install and select your partitions manually, lets say that your current root is sda5 and your home is sda6, select sda5 as root with ext4 and format, select sda6 as home with ext4 but NO FORMAT, that way, your data will remain intact!!.

Questions??.

Cool! Sound easy enough! Thanks!... :D