This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Dell laptop Can't find FiWi

ivinio

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39:18 pm

I just purchased Ultimate version of Zorin and i love everything about it BUT. Going from Ubuntu to Zorin after installation i lost ability to connect to the internet. I have two little monitors on top of my screen with red X between them. When i click on it i'm getting a drop down with only 4 options available. VPN Connections, Enable Networking, Enable Wireless and Edit Connections, there's more options but i can't click on it. Why can't i just scan for available wireless network and connect to them? Am i missing something in settings?
Guys, please remember that i'm new with Linux, some guys who know how to fix the problem don't really explain solution with details.
For example some explain , In Terminal ipconfig > wham enter bam hit start, restart, you done. I need like step by step, love pictures and youtube videos on how to fix stuff. If you have it or know where i can get help please let me know.
Thank you

madvinegar

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:56:06 pm

Before doing anything else, can you please advise if the "enable wireless and enable networking" are ticked?

Also, have you plugged an ethernet cable on your laptop and updated fully the system? Dell laptops are working very well with linux so I suspect that after an update, the necessary wireless drivers will be installed and everything will be ok. I have a dell laptop, and after the update, the wireless was working fine.

Instruction on how to update, courtesy of wolfman!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

If this does not work, post the results of
Code:
lspci
to see what is your wireless card.

ivinio

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:36:03 pm

madvinegar: genius!!! I did exactly what you said and it start working as soon as i updated the system. LOL i killed about 3 hours searching for solution. And i hate when the fix is simple like that :D feel stupid haha

madvinegar

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:20:10 pm

Glad I helped my friend! I will mark the topic as solved!

Swarf, blue jewels please! :D