This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

webcam

jimsak

Sat May 14, 2011 10:05:14 pm

Hello,
I can't get my webcam to work on Skype.

yehudah

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:09:43 pm

Please read my post "UVC Webcam" dated 21 June. Under help and support

VcDeveloper

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17:22 am

Hi, just re-installed Zorin 5 Ultimate after testing other Linux flavors and has come to rest that Zorin in the best for my purposes! After my weeks of testing my conclusion is openSuSe satisfies my web server needs and Zorin 5 Ultimate satisefise my media needs! Awesome OS!

Now, the help I need now is Skype. Cheese works perfectly, I'm updated and the /usr/lib32/libv4l were installed automatically. I tested the LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.co skype at the cli and I get these messages:

Code:
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.co' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-plugin"
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
(<unknown>:2462): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so
(<unknown>:2462): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so
(<unknown>:2462): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
(<unknown>:2462): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'ibus' failed
(<unknown>:2462): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

..by this, it looks like I'm missing some Gtk libs?

..so what other things I need to do to get the Skype video working with my Logitech QwickCam for Notebooks working. This is for a Desktop. Also, I do have the recommended nVidia driver installed.

Thanks!...

Admin-Amir

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:30:49 am

Hello VcDeveloper.

Please look into this post of the Multimedia packages to be install - your issue will be first - quick cam package for Logitech.
please install all the packages under the " webcam search in the post " - that will get your webcam up & running.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1740&start=10

Admin-Amir

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:00:46 am

Here is what has to be install on your system.

1.jpg
1.jpg (255.09 KiB)

2.jpg
2.jpg (250.06 KiB)

3.jpg
3.jpg (136.66 KiB)

VcDeveloper

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:49:35 am

Hi Amir, thanks for your help! :)

After I installed what you recommended it still didn't work, so I tried this again....

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.co skype

...and I notice the spelling was incorrect, because I copied it off a posting here. The .co is suppose to be .so, even though get the other messages as before, but it now works. I didn't notice the ERROR was referring to it:

"ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.co' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored."

Thank again!...

Admin-Amir

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:50:22 am

one more Tip from me.

I will install thee Skype package from the Ubuntu software Center - Add the Canonical package,
and not the package from the synaptic. :idea:

:idea: There are few packages that need to be install under v4l.

and add those packages from your terminal.

Code:
sudo apt-get install libv4l-0

Code:
sudo apt-get install libv4l-0 lib32v4l-0

Wolfman

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:04:25 am

Hi,

if I were to install Skype I would stick with the version that is available from Synaptic as I know that it is "a", not corrupted and "b", it should pull in all the dependencies that I need assuming that the settings in Synaptic are set to do so.

To the best of my knowledge there is only a 32 Bit version available from the repo!. 64 Bit available here:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/ ... ter/linux/)

Try not to use 3rd party packages whenever possible and you will maintain a stable OS!!. (This is not to say that you should soley download packages using Synaptic but they are "Trusted".)

Another point about Skype for those that are not farmiliar with how it can screw-up the sound settings, once installed go to options > audio settings and take out the tick allowing Skype to control the audio levels, it can screw-up the mic and other sound settings if you don't!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

VcDeveloper

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:29:32 pm

Thanks Wolfman! :)

Admin-Amir

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:27:38 am

To give you ppl the max support with the webcam,
here is the script (save in your home folder),
unpack the zip in your home =>click on the script (make sure it is executed = there you go. ;) :shock:

Skype.zip

VcDeveloper

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:44:01 pm

Ok Thanks Amir!... :)