This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Play DVD's

Bry

Mon May 16, 2011 6:42:53 pm

I went to play one of my collection of Laurel & Hardy videos. I tried all the players available, but all failed. Has anyone got an answer to this? Or will the 5 Ultimate version be able to play them?

thejetset

Mon May 16, 2011 7:28:58 pm

Bry wrote:I went to play one of my collection of Laurel & Hardy videos. I tried all the players available, but all failed. Has anyone got an answer to this? Or will the 5 Ultimate version be able to play them?

If you are having problems with playing DVDs it is likely you will need to install the DVD-CSS libraries. Open up "Software Center" and search for libdvdcss and it should appear for you. Install the package, reboot, then you should be able to play DVDs to your heart's content.

gedzdad

Fri May 20, 2011 11:16:39 pm

Bry,

I'm running Zorin OS 5 RC and slipped a DVD in and selected Movie Player, and it played perfectly!

Joe

craig10x

Sat May 21, 2011 1:05:30 am

You can download the encrypted dvd codec from medibuntu...it is a deb file....just download and save...go to the download in your file manager and right click it...hit "install in software manager"...it will bring up the ubuntu software mananger with the info and just click "install"
Then you will be able to play all dvds including those with copy guard (commercial dvds)...

To save you time...you will find it here:
http://packages.medibuntu.org/natty/libdvdcss2.html
That would be for Zorin 5

For Zorin 4 you will need this one:
http://packages.medibuntu.org/maverick/libdvdcss-dev.html

I don't think you would find it by default in ubuntu software center because they would get into trouble if they offered it...that is why ubuntu tells you to go to medibuntu to get it...

For playing dvds, i always use the VLC media player as i think it does the best job with them...

Bry

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:15:05 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments. I anxiously await 5, where I am sure the matter will be resolved. (I check several times a day to see if it's here, like a kid waiting for Father Christmas.. and I'm a 74 year old geek!)