This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install special audio driver?

OscarJones

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01:00 pm

I have tried Zorin and like what I see so far. This looks like just the OS I need. However, I cannot get the audio to work. My audio is a bit of a unique setup. My video card, an nVidia GTX 470 has the audio driver that runs my speakers, which are internal speakers in my monitor. They are connected via an HDMI cable. I went to the nVidia site and downloaded the Linux drivers. The file is named Linux-x86--275.09.07.run

Now what do I do?

I would like to have a USB stick for my Linux Mint OS. Ideally, it would be nice to install the audio driver onto the USB stick, so it would not have to be done each bootup. Any ideas?

OscarJones

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:45:28 pm

I am a Linux noob, so am not sure how this all works. I have the Linux driver for my system and I am able to boot into Zorin, but do not know how to install the driver I have into the Zorin system. BTW, I have a Windows 7 system and I use the Windows version driver quite successfully.

LoneWolf

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:53:14 am

Hi OscarJones, Have you tried going to the control panel and clicking on the additional drivers Icon. It may pick up your card successfully. If this did not work then you can try the following.

There should have been some instructions on the Nivida site on how to install the file. But what I think you will need to do is open a terminal window Start button <Z> -> Accessories -> Terminal. Then you type cd Downloads assuming you downloaded the file into the Downloads folder then enter sudo Linux-x86--275.09.07.run it will ask you for the root password and then follow the directions on the screen. You use to have shut down the graphics server and run from a command prompt I don't know it this is a requirement any longer.

Hope this helps.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:07:01 pm

The package that you downloaded from Nvidia can only be installed in "run level 3" (no GUI), what you should do is simply use the additional hardware drivers app which you will find as described by the first part of the previous post!!.

Regards Wolfman :!: