This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]using wine

vegan

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:08:43 pm

Hello,

I would like to install some Windows programs using Wine. I don't really know where to start. Is there an instruction manual, someplace? I'm using the free version of Zorin. I have playonLinux, Wine tricks and WINE. One program that I'm interested in is streaming Netflix, but I doubt I can do that, now.

LoneWolf

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:17:33 pm

The first thing I would do is go to the wine website and look up the windows apps you want to install. They have a rating system so see what categories you apps fall into. If they are listed as "garbage" that means the won't run or they run very poorly. If the are gold or silver then check to see what version they run best with. The core version comes with wine 1.3.15 in my case I needed at least 1.3.16 so I had to add the Ubuntu wine repository. If you do need to upgrade your wine version you can go Here for instruction on how to upgrade.

Then all you need to do is right click on your setup.exe and choose to "Open with wine program loader" then just like windows follow the wizard. After installation you should have a desktop Icon and an entry under wine -> programs -> <your program>

vegan

Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47:35 am

Thank you, Lonewolf.

Maybe, I should start posting to the Wine forums. They would know a great deal about it. I clicked on the link you sent. My computer skills are not sufficient to know how to upgrade my version of Wine. In that link, I found information on downloading a beta release, but I don't know enough about Wine, to know if that is what I should do. I tried to install IE7 with playonlinux.

How do I subscribe to this topic, so I get e-mail notification when new posts come in?

I don't know which programs require a license and which ones are free. I don't know how to start WINE. Do I hit configure WINE?