This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

vertical colored lines

beast1994

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:27:02 pm

i have a dell vostros 1000, it orginally had win xp but it decided to crash and not come back. now i have a copy of zorin-os 5 on a flash drive i uses unetbootin to create it. I got it to run on the first night but when i went to shut it down that night it poped up a two errors and then the screen shows vertical color (mutiple) across the screen. When i start my comp up i have to hit f12 to get to the bootscreen and i hit the usb option. It brings up the unetbootin and i hit enter on the live option, it flashes the screen and then it brings up the colored lines. In the background i here the start up sound but i still have the lines. How do i get the lines off so i can use my comp.... :cry:

Wolfman

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:13:24 pm

Hi,

did you install the graphic card drivers using the hardware driver installer???.

Regards Wolfman

LoneWolf

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:17:53 pm

Have you tried to boot into the safe graphics mode? Have you tried to run a different distro with success? What caused XP to crash? How about a different monitor?

Please post your system setup, graphics card, memory, processor etc.

beast1994

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:31:32 pm

my system is a dell vostros 1000, 1 gig mem, amd athlon x64 dual core, nivdia graphics. The reason why xp crashed was because the command.com file was screwed up. I got zorin-os 4 lite to work last night and i restarted and it still worked then this morning it decided to put up more coloted lines but i can log into zorin but nothing shows up but colored lines :x

LoneWolf

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:05:39 pm

Have you tried Wolfman's suggestion? You will find an Icon on the control panel that say's additional Hardware drivers and it will load a Nividia driver for your card.

beast1994

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:37:39 pm

i cant even see the screen except for the colored lines. The only drivers it was showing was for my wireless card

LoneWolf

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:10:52 pm

As you are booting when you get to Grub you should see a selection of boot options one of them being a Safe mode option. Have you tried that to see if the lines go away? You can also try downloading the Nivida Drivers and boot up with out the graphics and install the drivers from the command prompt.