This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual boot with xp not working

savagebeast

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:24:16 pm

I recently had windows XP crash on me, and despite my many hours of attempted repairs I could not restore it. All my restore points were lost, could not find my boot sector, windows would freeze within 20 seconds of booting up (when it decided to boot). I was able to run windows msconfig and get it into safe mode and back up my files though phew! At this point I have had it with Windows. So I decided to try Zorin OS 5.

I hooked my HD's to my raid controller and did a low level format to wipe them completely and start from scratch. I re-installed XP first as was recommended by forums for having issues installing it after Zorin or Ubuntu. I wanted XP for certain programs and features. Then I installed Zorin, it worked fine, said to restart my computer, I did so. Bios came up no problem, then it booted straight to XP. Odd, no option for Zorin.

I looked through a few forums and tried installing EasyBCD 2.1, which installed in XP no problem. I went to start the program and it said it couldn't find the bootloader. I sent off an error report to neosmart, but there must be a bigger issue.

"The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The system cannot find the file specified."

I can run Zorin live from the DVD, which is how I'm on this forum right now, and tried the terminal application, and following the tips from these forums:

http://zorin-os.webs.com/apps/forums/to ... to-boot-pc

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... m%20LiveCD

live@live:~$ sudo apt-get install grub-pc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
grub-pc is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

This is what I get when i try to run an install of grub, but it seems to already be there.....

What can I do at this point?