This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

make laptop look and function like my desktop

PastorMarc

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:55:24 pm

I would like to make my laptop a complete clone of my desktop without having to redo every setting and install I did for the desktop, I know drivers and stuff will be different but functionally and software wise. They are both running Zorin os 5 multimedia, Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

LoneWolf

Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:02:51 pm

You could make an image back up of your desktop then restore it on your laptop. As you noted the big thing would be the drivers but the only one I would think would cause a problem is the video if your are using an additional driver. Just a thought.

Good Luck.

PastorMarc

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:26:51 pm

Thank you I am new to Linux and do not know how to do an "image backup" is there a post on how to do that?

LoneWolf

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:06:22 pm

open the software manager and do a search for backup programs, there's a ton of them, choose which one you think you will like and install it. once installed backup the folders you would like to move over to the laptop. I would back it up to a portable device like a external hard drive. Then install the same back up application on the laptop and do a restore. You will want to backup your home folder but exactly which system folder(s) you will want I'm not sure. I've never moved an entire system from one computer to another one that wasn't the same so i'm not totally sure what you will end up with.

Let us know how it goes.