This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] No boot screen on startup!

jaredward951

Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:42:18 pm

I have a dell inspirion 531 desktop with a dell flat screen monitor. I have dual booted zorin os 5 ultimate 64 next to windows vista. when i start the computer i don't get a boot page to choose my os to boot instead i get- 1:auto detect(analog input)
cannot display video mode
optimum resolution 1680X1050 60Hz
then it goes straight to the login screen and i can log into zorin and everything works fine in there. What do i do to get the boot screen so i can log into windows or even start the computer in safe mode?
Is there something I am missing? i also have zorin os 5 ultimate on my toshiba laptop it's the 32 bit version not dual booted and it does have a boot screen with choices before entering the login screen.
HELP!

Wolfman

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:59:32 pm

reduce the resolution on your monitor, it may simply be too high!!. Pause when booting so you can change the res then continue the boot!!.

Regards Wolfman.

jaredward951

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:51:51 pm

ok so i tried the bug fix still no splash screen on boot up. i also tried changing the resolution on the screen but this screen automatically detects so nothing i can really do there. I can find the windows os in my filesytem. any other ideas?

jaredward951

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:53:12 pm

what is the manual fix sorry swarfendor just noticed that part of your post

jaredward951

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:32:14 pm

Alright so i figured it out here's what I did. I went to the Ubuntu Software Center and downloaded Startup-Manager. Once it downloaded I clicked the zorin button on the panel and went to --->system ----------------------->administration------------>Startup-Manager. when the manager window came up, I changed the resolution from 640X480 to 1024X768. I also changed the color depth from 8 bits to 16 bits. Then I clicked the tab labeled "advanced" (it's right next to the "boot loader" tab) and changed the bootloader menu resolution to 1024X768. Then I clicked the "close" button in the bottom right of the window. Now it was time to restart my computer. I restarted and low and behold I now have a boot screen and can choose Zorin or Windows. In conclusion my monitor really just didn't like the boot resolution. Thanks for the help! :D