Connecting Android phone

Connecting Android phone

Postby Levi88 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:36 pm

I want to connect my Android LG MS770 4G ICS to Zorin 6.2
I have been through many distros and have only found 1 so far that just works on it. Fuduntu, but the recent updates made both of my towers crash, so I reverted back to SolusOS on one and gave Zorin another shot.
My main goal is to connect it so that I can transfer files via USB. I have searched, but maybe I'm not searching right or maybe my phone is not recognized. Any available help or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
User avatar
Levi88
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Connecting Android phone

Postby madvinegar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:24 pm

For usb connection, the best solution is go-mtpfs: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/how-to-m ... mtpfs.html

For wifi connection, best solution is airdroid: http://www.airdroid.com/
Zorin 9 - Ultimate Edition 64bit
Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5550 1.83GHz ‖ RAM 3008 MiB ‖ Acer Aspire 5920G
Mobility Radeon HD 3470 [1002:95c4] {radeon}
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection [8086:4222] (rev 02)
Blog: https://madvinegar.wordpress.com
User avatar
madvinegar
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Connecting Android phone

Postby Levi88 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:57 am

Ok, thanks. I didn't have to do any of that. It just started seeing it now where it wouldn't before. No issues with hotspot though. Must have been in the updates and didn't take effect till a next reboot. I ran Ubuntu for a day just to root my phone with it, and it didn't pop up, but I didn't bother with updates either. I'm really happy Zorin worked for me this time. Last time I tried it on the 6.1, it kernel panicked everytime after initial install on both PC's.
User avatar
Levi88
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Connecting Android phone

Postby Levi88 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:43 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Some homework for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost3752275

So stop using your towers as wood burning stoves! :lol:


Thanks much friend. I really do hate to appear as an idiot. It was I believe the second or third update before it saw my phone. I can almost swear it was the third as my common practice is to do an update first thing after an install. Solus was excellent except for a conflict on wifi on my one tower. Trisquel is still in testing (as far as for me), but I dig the speech output on the live boot. IDK if you remember my posts from a while back with the 6.1, but it caused kernel panic. I took another look at Zorin and found a 6.2. I tried, worked with a freezing of system when I had web open and then opened terminal, Waited 5 minutes and it corrected. Repeat. Step 2: Update. Runs smooth and knows my phone. Zorin, you have done it right. ;) However, I will say that Zorin, upon install of my other tower, did not read the PS/2 mouse, and was therefore useless. I actually don't require much from my OS. Just that it works, has Chrome (NOT CHROMIUM), netflix, connects to my Android, has Transmission and jdownloader. I can deal with all the manual install details with a given reference. I'm really happy this worked out for me this time!!! :D
User avatar
Levi88
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Connecting Android phone

Postby Levi88 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:45 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
Levi88 wrote:Thanks much friend. I really do hate to appear as an idiot. It was I believe the second or third update before it saw my phone. I can almost swear it was the third as my common practice is to do an update first thing after an install. Solus was excellent except for a conflict on wifi on my one tower. Trisquel is still in testing (as far as for me), but I dig the speech output on the live boot. IDK if you remember my posts from a while back with the 6.1, but it caused kernel panic. I took another look at Zorin and found a 6.2. I tried, worked with a freezing of system when I had web open and then opened terminal, Waited 5 minutes and it corrected. Repeat. Step 2: Update. Runs smooth and knows my phone. Zorin, you have done it right. ;) However, I will say that Zorin, upon install of my other tower, did not read the PS/2 mouse, and was therefore useless. I actually don't require much from my OS. Just that it works, has Chrome (NOT CHROMIUM), netflix, connects to my Android, has Transmission and jdownloader. I can deal with all the manual install details with a given reference. I'm really happy this worked out for me this time!!! :D


Well I gave up on Solus when I spotted a 'zombie' Firefox running in System Monitor - guess that is because there are no more security updates for OS's that are running Gnome2! :mrgreen:

As for Chrome - if you like being monitored and your profile being sold that is up to you but you have been warned! :twisted:
(http://donttrack.us) - and on the Windows front I have deleted all Google Apps!

Ans as for Transmission there was a security issue with that - I would go with Deluge! :mrgreen:

Oh and with regards to Trisquel, this is now a bit of a let down as they have adopted the Ubuntu style boot up and Accessibility is no longer at the top of the boot menu! It is now at version 6.0 and is LTS as it is based on 12.04. I will be removing 5.5 and shunting Zorin to the start of the drive, shrinking my home partition and adding UE 3.4.

Thanks for the info. Nice to know.. The only real issue that I've noticed this time around with zorin is when I either have web open or have phone connected and then open terminal. it stutters and sometimes freezes up the system. If it does I just let it sit for 5 minutes and it corrects itself. When I tried it in my other tower all was fine, till reboot. It decided after install it didn't wanna run my PS/2 mouse. LOL
User avatar
Levi88
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Connecting Android phone

Postby Levi88 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:25 pm

madvinegar wrote:For usb connection, the best solution is go-mtpfs: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/how-to-m ... mtpfs.html

For wifi connection, best solution is airdroid: http://www.airdroid.com/


Thanks. These 2 ended up both working great! I had no luck with the wammu and others. :D
User avatar
Levi88
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Connecting Android phone

Postby Levi88 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 am

swarfendor437 wrote:
Levi88 wrote:Thanks much friend. I really do hate to appear as an idiot. It was I believe the second or third update before it saw my phone. I can almost swear it was the third as my common practice is to do an update first thing after an install. Solus was excellent except for a conflict on wifi on my one tower. Trisquel is still in testing (as far as for me), but I dig the speech output on the live boot. IDK if you remember my posts from a while back with the 6.1, but it caused kernel panic. I took another look at Zorin and found a 6.2. I tried, worked with a freezing of system when I had web open and then opened terminal, Waited 5 minutes and it corrected. Repeat. Step 2: Update. Runs smooth and knows my phone. Zorin, you have done it right. ;) However, I will say that Zorin, upon install of my other tower, did not read the PS/2 mouse, and was therefore useless. I actually don't require much from my OS. Just that it works, has Chrome (NOT CHROMIUM), netflix, connects to my Android, has Transmission and jdownloader. I can deal with all the manual install details with a given reference. I'm really happy this worked out for me this time!!! :D


Well I gave up on Solus when I spotted a 'zombie' Firefox running in System Monitor - guess that is because there are no more security updates for OS's that are running Gnome2! :mrgreen:

As for Chrome - if you like being monitored and your profile being sold that is up to you but you have been warned! :twisted:
(http://donttrack.us) - and on the Windows front I have deleted all Google Apps!

Ans as for Transmission there was a security issue with that - I would go with Deluge! :mrgreen:

Oh and with regards to Trisquel, this is now a bit of a let down as they have adopted the Ubuntu style boot up and Accessibility is no longer at the top of the boot menu! It is now at version 6.0 and is LTS as it is based on 12.04. I will be removing 5.5 and shunting Zorin to the start of the drive, shrinking my home partition and adding UE 3.4.



I've been peeking at that UE you mentioned. I'm guessing it must be packed being so large for a Linux system. I'm gonna try it out. Already downloaded. LOL
User avatar
Levi88
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Return to Help and Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests