This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How should I go about checking my hard disk with Zorin?

gregoryshock125

Thu May 09, 2013 4:03:08 am

I have reason to believe that my hard drive maybe going bad. I am new to Linux, so I haven't been running it on an internal hard drive. Instead I've been installing it to a external hard disk that I feel comfortable with reformatting/repartitioning/re installing, for as often as I need to, while I'm getting the hang of things. I wanted Linux to install as if it is going to just a regular drive. To do this, I simply remove my internal hard drive (unplug it) then I boot my computer using the Zorin live Disc. Then I simply plug in my external usb drive and then run the install. It gives me a really weird Input/output error. But when I hit retry, it installs. If there is a really an input/output error, then why does retry even work? My theory is, there is still an error that Linux chooses to ignore and because of that Zorin becomes buggy and crashes. It does crash on me from time to time, and there is no way to shut down without holding down the computer button.

How should I go about checking my hard disk with Zorin?

madvinegar

Thu May 09, 2013 6:58:17 am

Easiest way, open up "disk utility", select the drive you want to check from the list on the left and see the feedback on the right.
It will tell you if the disk is healthy, if it has bad sectors or if it is in bad state and you need to replace it.
There are also some S.M.A.R.T tests you can follow to see exaclty what the problem is.

Next thing would be to download and use HDD regenerator in a bootable CD. It checks and repairs bad sectors and "delays" in a hard drive (if the damage is not so severe).
http://www.2shared.com/file/IFn5qkXJ/HD ... _2011.html
(click the blue "download" button).

gregoryshock125

Sun May 19, 2013 4:43:21 am

@ madvinegar I tried HDD regenerator and it said that I have 1 bad sector, and it couldn't fix it.

@ swarfendor This is a Ximeta/Maxtor Hard Drive. I found some diagnostic software on the seagate/maxtor website. The software can't find my hard drive to check it. Do you know where I could find the proper software for checking this hard drive? It is called a NetDisk NDAS by Ximeta 120 GB External Hard Drive. I have it plugged into my computer via USB.