This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Need help on the install

bkrtoni

Tue May 24, 2011 2:51:56 am

Ok I am sure this is a stupid question, but I am relatively new to Linux having used Windows for years at home and work and have been running Ubuntu, and until their latest release with the new Unity desktop, have been happy. I did some research and found out about Zorin and am ready to take the plunge. I have downloaded the .iso file, but am not sure how to get this to install. I double clicked on on it and nothing. I tried putting it on a flash drive and rebooting my machine, but nothing. How do I install? Thanks in advance for any help!

Maik

Tue May 24, 2011 6:26:05 am

Try the DVD route, worked just fine fo me. Zorin OS installion guide

kevs_view

Tue May 24, 2011 11:53:21 am

Hi bkrtoni

You need to burn the iso file to a DVD (as an image, not as a file)
Then put the DVD in and reboot

craig10x

Tue May 24, 2011 1:46:53 pm

As he said...burn it as on a dvd as an IMAGE not a data file....and best to burn at low speed (say around 2x or so) rather then the max speed your burner would ordinarily do it...

Then make sure you set your computer to first boot off your cd/dvd drive when you turn it on...
Once you do that, pop in the dvd while in your normal "windows session" and RESTART your computer....
The live dvd will then run (takes a while to set up).

At that point, you can even first play with Zorin on the live cd session and get use to it, and if you decide to install, you will see that option on your desktop...You can wipe out windows completely if you want OR install side by side with windows for "dual booting"....