This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Start menu VLC error

Linx

Wed May 25, 2011 6:32:44 pm

Hey I installed Zorin OS 4 Ult on my computer, and it works great.

however, I have one issue, and don't know where to start... I'm pretty new to linux, so be nice =]

I click on the start menu and everything works fine except when I click on computer, documents, or any other file explorer option. when I click on it, VLC media play comes up and says "Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'computer:///'. Check the log for details." or something along those lines ...

I uninstall VLC and it works fine, however VLC is my favorite media player =] when I reinstall ... I get the same issue

I did change the file associations to make most all media file run with VLC, I would like to undo those changed and see if it helps ... but I don't know how ...

any ideas?

Linx

Wed May 25, 2011 7:42:28 pm

property sheet of which file?
VLC or the start menu?
and how do I get there
when I right click on the "computer" in the menu,I get the same error ....

the "Computer" on my Desktop works fine it is inly in the menu

I have tried uninstall and reinstall from the package manager, and with Ubuntu tweak... same result ...

when I get home I'm have to try changing media to another player and see if the issue persist ... and I would like to reinstall the menu as well, do you have the full name of that, or is it just "start menu" ?

Linx

Wed May 25, 2011 8:50:27 pm

I have permissions to access it, I'm in the sudoers file =]
VLC will work fine on its own... it is only the menu items I'm worried about...
I removed and readded the menu, but that still doesn't uninstall it ....

I'l log out and log in as root, and click it and see if it is user related ...
do you know how to reassociate the file exts ? I want to set that to default.

Thank you for your help =]

Linx

Wed May 25, 2011 9:13:34 pm

I'lll get on when I get home, and will let you know what happens, but that is in like 7 hours or so =]

Linx

Thu May 26, 2011 5:06:47 am

thank you so much for the help, however it didn't quite get is fixed .... I did however... keep playing around with the associations turns out I have "folder" type files to open with VLC .... so I changed it to open with file browser =/ lol

ok so when you feel like being lazy and just right click on your music folder, make sure "use for all files like this" isn't checked =]

Issue resolved