This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

task bar lost!!

banjoman

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:10:02 pm

After its first update, some 147 new files, I restarted ny laptop, but no task bar appeared at the bottom of the screen, I have restarted several times but the task bar renmains lost!!!

How can i restore this?

maxmm5

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:31:24 pm

Hi bajoman, Did you lost the whole panel bar? Or only the task bar on the right, please clarify further.

banjoman

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:21:16 pm

maxmm5 wrote:Hi bajoman, Did you lost the whole panel bar? Or only the task bar on the right, please clarify further.

yes the whole panel bar has gone!

Wolfman

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:58:19 pm

Hi,

you can try this in a terminal, simply copy and paste it!!:

sudo rm -r ~/.gconf/apps/panel
sudo cp -R /etc/skel/.gconf/apps/panel ~/.gconf/apps
sudo chmod -R a+rw ~/.gconf/apps
sudo chmod -R 777 ~/.gconf/apps

This is for Ubuntu so it should work but cannot say "yay or nay"!!, use at your OWN RISK!!!.

Press: Alt + F2 then type: gnome-terminal to get a terminal up and running!!. (type: exit to exit terminal)

Restart your PC afterwards!!: ctrl + alt + del

Regards Wolfman :D

banjoman

Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:40:52 pm

thanks for this, unfortunately it had no effect,

I decided to reinstall Zorin (as there were some errors reported, which I ignored(!) when I first installed),

now I can access all programs through the panel again and the screen resolution is correct (that refers to another post I made recently) so I deduce that the first installation was corrupted and had errors

I do have 2 versions of Zorin on the computer now, I couldn't delete my original installation, but had to resize it to its smallest option (4GB) and install again on the larger free space

I will investigate gparted to see if I can delete the first installation, unless there is a way of uninstalling it anyone could recommend