This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Internet Issue

countrygeekpc

Fri May 23, 2014 4:38:01 am

I have tried the live cd/usb on three different machines and I am unable to use the internet. So I installed it to one PC and still have the same issue.

If I type http://www.google.com into the address bar I can get to google, but anything past that gives me a "Aw, Snap" message in Chrome. If I try to go thru the software center to download anything it fails every time.
I have tried both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions.

I am new to Linux/Zorin and I am at a complete loss. Anyone have any ideas where I move forward form here?

Wolfman

Fri May 23, 2014 4:55:29 am

Hi,

are you using a laptop/notebook/netbook with WiFi or a network cable?. Have you clicked on the network icon in the panel and is it "Enabled"?.

If you are using WiFi, check out this post about using "Ndiswrapper" (#2) here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7488

Are you using an older modem?, are you on a network?.

madvinegar

Fri May 23, 2014 5:36:00 am

Can you please post back the result of:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

countrygeekpc

Fri May 23, 2014 1:28:25 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

are you using a laptop/notebook/netbook with WiFi or a network cable?. Have you clicked on the network icon in the panel and is it "Enabled"?.

If you are using WiFi, check out this post about using "Ndiswrapper" (#2) here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7488

Are you using an older modem?, are you on a network?.

Connected hardwired to a Cisco DPC3825 (modem/router) and all 3 PCs are desktop/towers.
I don't have any issue with LinuxMint or openSUSE.

countrygeekpc

Fri May 23, 2014 2:10:14 pm

madvinegar wrote:Can you please post back the result of:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

live@live:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10de] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:027f]
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
live@live:~$

countrygeekpc

Fri May 23, 2014 5:18:30 pm

Small Update..

I am posting this from the live usb. If I type a direct web address in it seems I can go to that website 75% of the time.

So I thouhgt.. maybe it's just the "live". So I have been trying all morning to install Zorin to two different HDDs on two machines from CD and USB and I keep getting the same errno 5 input/output problem... I know I am new to Linux.. but what the heck?

Side note, I have tried bothe the 32-bit and 64-bit, same errors on both PCs and Boths media formats...

Wolfman

Sat May 24, 2014 6:23:40 am

Hi,

if you are getting "input/output" errors, did you fully format the USB stick to FAT32 before you created the Live USB stick?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

countrygeekpc

Sat May 24, 2014 2:32:26 pm

Yes, full format not quick, two different USB sticks. I tried installing in vmware last night with the same results. For further testing I downloaded unbuntu and I had no issues at all, but I hate the interface.

Swarfendor437

Sat May 24, 2014 3:12:15 pm

Check out the top 5 responses to the same issue here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/65830/er ... to-install

Please let us know which one worked for you! :D

countrygeekpc

Mon May 26, 2014 5:24:04 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Check out the top 5 responses to the same issue here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/65830/er ... to-install

Please let us know which one worked for you! :D

None...
Today I purchased a brand new USB, brand new 1tb hdd and I still have the same issues.
I am able to run Zorin 8, Unbuntu and LinuxMint 17RC from live USB. Zorin is the only one with internet issues.
Unbuntu and LM17RC install perfectly to the hdd with NO problems at all, but Zorin throws up a erron 5 I/O error when I try to install...

Zorin is finally the Linux to make me dump Windows, except I can't install it... Any ideas would be helpful

Wolfman

Mon May 26, 2014 5:27:46 am

Hi,

I suggest you do a new download of the ISO from here:

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 47533.html

Use Firefox and no download manager and try creating a bootable USB stick again, fully format the USB stick again before creating the image!.

countrygeekpc

Tue May 27, 2014 8:27:06 pm

Those ISOs from that link are both unbootable from DVD and USB for me. They become a screen of white garbage after choosing one of the boot menu options and I tried all of them. I downloaded them with Firefox and Chrome and tried booting on my gaming machine (personally built), a Dell Optiplex, a Asus Laptop, and a Toshiba laptop with the same results on each.

I suppose I must give up until version 9 comes out or something... sucks!

Wolfman

Wed May 28, 2014 5:02:38 am

Hi,

when you see the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset xforcevesa" and then press enter and see if it boots okay!.

countrygeekpc

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:30:13 am

ok got it to boot with your suggestion, but still no internet from live and still the same [Errno 5] Input/output error

Wolfman

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:48:28 am

Open up the PC and try swopping the RAM around and see if that helps!.

Discharge any static electricity before touching RAM by holding on to the casing for several seconds!.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:22:11 am

I would also look at changing the software you use for your USB stick - if you still have Ubuntu or other GNU/Linux distro on any of those machines, format to FAT32 and install MultiSystem 3 to your machine and once you have installed complete a full update:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
so that MultiSystem updates to the latest version.

Get it from here:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/I ... 5623.shtml

countrygeekpc

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:38:59 pm

I don't know what was changed in Zorin OS 9 RC.. but it all works BEAUTIFULLY! WHOOT! WHOOT!

madvinegar

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:45:02 pm

It's the kernel. 3.13 is a great kernel with lots of bug fixes.