This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing Windows Games

LokiOdinson

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:47:18 am

i just had to switch OS from windows 7 to Zorin and i think its awesome. i also have a macbook pro im probably going to vmware fusion this os to it. anyways, i chose zorin over ubuntu because of its capacity to play/run windows based games/programs.
i got diablo 2 and its expansion LOD to install through wine i am assuming, but when i try to run either program, i get the first two opening fmv's, but then it freezes and i have to push escape to exit. i installed both the game and the expansion from the download clients i downloaded for my windows installation. there are no discs. i tred using the program that came with Zorin called PlayOnLinux and it has diablo 2 and LOD listed as compatible but only asks for disc or disc image. what do i do to get this to run? its my only concern so far about switching form stupid windows 7 to Zorin

Wolfman

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:58:33 am

Hi Loki,

did you install the hardware drivers for your graphics card.

Control Center > Hardware > Additional Drivers

Regards Wolfman :D

maxmm5

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:44:30 pm

Hi LokiOdinson, The list on PlayOnLinux are the one that are compatible, but you need to buy the DVD disk of the game and let PlayOnLinux install it for you on Linux OS PC. There are free games to download direct on PlayOnLinux, but it's all DEMO! Good luck...

LokiOdinson

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:51:05 pm

ok im very thankful that i get support from the zorin community faster than damn windows/microsoft.
i downloaded the LATEST version of zorin, and it came with wine tricks. Blizzard even replied within 24 hours (s*** within 12 for that matter) and they stated this:
"Blizzard currently does not develop for the Linux platform; however, we are keeping an eye on the progress of Linux and may change this the future. Currently we only support our games on the platforms listed on the box/website. There are some issues with Linux that may interfere with a connection to our servers as well. Overall, we do not support the use of our games on Linux."
the rep suggested runnind D2VidTest and trying 3d accell and if that doesnt work running it again and choosing 2d accell.

ok so im following wolfman's advice now and found something called ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver. does that sound right?
SystemError: Failed to lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock

it wont let me install the driver for this.

any other ideas?

Wolfman

Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:02:34 am

Loki,

change the download location in Synaptic by selecting your country name, then "select best server", then "choose server", after that; reload and close Synaptic and try installing the drivers again!!.

Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Download from

Regards Wolfman :D

LokiOdinson

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:50:14 pm

ok so i fixed this.
here are my steps so they can help out anyone else who has this problem:
1. i went to google and found these 3 pages: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=77f85ac655027523050f1ab39e945d78&t=630531&page=2, Image, and http://nickyt.org/?p=10.
i look t all three and decided to try all methods at once.
2. on my mac i logged into vmware fusion and ran diablo 2 installer downloaded from [url]us.battle.net[/url]. installed diablo 2 then ran the LoD installer and installed that. i copied everything over to my 1tb external then plugged it into my linuxpc
3. used menu/applications/wine/browse c drive and pasted the diablo 2 install folder from windows to virtual cdrive on linux pc. this didnt work. so i used the terminal to enter this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install libjack0
since wine was already installed i left that code out.
then i entered:
Code:
winecfg
In the Applications tab, selected "Windows 7"
Graphics tab, disabled allow window manager control. Playing in fullscreen mode will render game in fullscreen, but will squish it down rather and stretch it wider on my wide laptop screen. this made the game lag horribly on singleplayer, worse on bnet.
for audio i selected ALSA but i also selected all others as well.
4. since the copy carried over from windows pc didnt work, i copied the downloaded clients from bnet to 1tb external, and pasted them on desktop for mt linuxpc. i right clicked each installer and selected "Open with winecore exe" and followed all install instructions for D2 and LoD.

game runs well on single, and exceptional online despite tiny window compared to my 15.6 inch screen.

while in game, i selected fade automap in center only, lowerd all graphics options to minimum, set screen size to 800x600

no lag but like i said, kind of tiny. maybe someone sould show me how to make it bigger without using the magnifier?

Zorin was the best possible choice for me being a mac user and being tired of windows (screw microsoft)