This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

User/password in Zorin OS 9

123Alpha

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:57:34 pm

I just downloaded Zorin OS 9 Beta and tried to run it from the DVD. However, I am stymied right off the bat as it wants a user name and password -- I cannot find anything that tells me what I should enter there. I have tried a few guesses (like live and zorin without passwords and with a few wild guesses, but no luck!

On OS 8, this was not required.

Does anyone know what I should enter to try it out?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:19:20 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum! :D

This should not happen at all - this would (should!) only happen if you booted into live desktop and logged out - then it would be 'live' as the user, with no password. I don't have any issues with the live 32-bit DVD.

123Alpha

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:04:29 am

My version is the AMD-64 DVD. I am certain that I had not logged out. I did try "live" as the user, with no password but that did not work. I am not sure if the Beta download changes frequently or not, but perhaps I downloaded a version that had a "quirk".

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:39:41 pm

Always worth checking the md5 sum to ensure downloaded *.iso is not corrupt and always use imgburn if using Windows - k3b if using GNU/Linux! :D And burn at slowest possible speed your burner will allow.

AintMisbehaving

Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:02:26 pm

Just to add that I have had a similar experience with other debian-linux installations, sometimes even after having installed the system to hard-drive. My conclusion was that this was probably due to a misread of data during the installation (worn disc or crummy dvd drive), or an imperfect download. And yes, I do not always take the time to ensure that my downloads of the system or writes to disc are perfect. We can all become too eager to try out a new system to take the proper steps to be certain that the software we are using is exactly as it should be.
Usually when this has happened I have probably made several bug-filled attempts to install the same system. The password glitch that appears it just one more result of those attempts, like throwing dice to see what broken DNA might become.
Of course..... It is always possible that there actually is a bug as well.
Have fun with your linux travels.