This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

widescreen laptop

theoldman

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:55:26 pm

Uh hello all, I've already ordered Ultimate 5 and want to know something. Will I be able to install Ultimate on Aspire widescreen laptop running all Intel, including a GMA 4500 graphics (up to 1308 MB DVMT.
I'm asking because even though i haven't tried it yet my experience with this laptop is that almost every Linux Iv'e tried (with only one exception)
fails to load any visible desktop..

anybody?

maxmm5

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:32:13 pm

Hi theoldman, I think it will go smoothly, base on my experience using my Lenovo S10-3c running intel, 1G memory and screen of 1024 x 600. I start Zorin OS4 to RC5 and finally the final stable version of Zorin OS 5 CORE, all was install using the install option from live session, oppose to all our forum friends recommendation of direct install. I don't have any single issue with live session installation and I prepare it, because I love to use graphical interface installation. Now, I double booth with Ultimate Edition Gamers using also the live session installation without problem. Good luck...
Take a look of my desktop... Take note that the background is self made and you can not find it on any Zorin OS.

theoldman

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:38:52 pm

Well I appreciate your response, that said though I am unable to get anything based on Ubuntu 11.04 to work with the graphics on this machine. Again it's a 15.6 widescreen laptop with Intel graphics, GMA 4500M , Up to1308 MB DVMT.
It DOES NOT matter whether or not I try from the 'live' desktop or the direct install..

Wolfman

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:11:20 pm

Have you tried a different version of Linux, maybe one of the other flavours will work for you!.

http://distrowatch.com/

Regards Wolfman:)

theoldman

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:04:26 pm

Uh yes i have, currently using Oz Unity Debut, But I purchased the disk for Ultimate Zorin 5. Oh well, I guess I helped out
Zorin inadvertently.. (sigh)

thanks anyway