This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

RESOLVE FIREFOX STARTPAGE ISSUE!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:41:47 pm

1. Open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge firefox

then

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

(this will remove the othere two 'xul' packages left over)

2. Go to http://www.mozilla.org and download the correct Linux package for your version of Zorin (Linux if 32-bit, Linux-64 if 64-bit)
Choose your OS and preferred language. This will download a .tar.bz2 file - to install follow the instructions given here - it works! :D

http://www.libre-software.net/how-to-in ... linux-mint

Thanks to Jonas99 and madvinegar on resolving this issue!

See original thread here:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=7837

120 blue jewels to each of you! :D

[EDITED as users not having much joy! 20.7.2014 :D :D :D ]

rjon

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:36:08 pm

Sure hasn't work for me !! I tried it all ! So another other ideas ?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:38:04 pm

Use Web browser Manager to uninstall Firefox then install Opera? :D

rjon

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:23:34 pm

If I wanted Opera I would have installed it !

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:53:34 pm

OK, well just use the uninstall function of the Web Browser, remove the application button from dockbar-X by right-clicking it then open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install firefox

I would advise before doing so that you make sure that your 'Update Manager' is pointing to 'Main Server' and nowhere else - keep us posted!

rjon

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:20:05 am

I have already been that route... " NOTHING " works !!

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:22:57 am

Not even the amended? It does for me but the start page is there in the background - I have duckduckgo.com as my homepage now! :D

Also remember you may need to run as true 'root'

Code:
sudo gksu

efbe

Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:55:15 am

Still getting the same results. nothing works for me and it's getting too complicated for a fix that i can understand, time to move on i think.

efbe

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:13:07 am

efbe wrote:Still getting the same results. nothing works for me and it's getting too complicated for a fix that i can understand, time to move on i think.

I gave it one last shot, I don't know what i did but it seems to be working now..after changing to Main server and installing the latest software update, (whether that had something to do with it i don't know) but it's working fine now.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:53:30 am

Yeah, I get the occasional return of the start in the 'clean' Firefox if I enter zorin-os.com. It would appear that Chrome spyware has been replaced with Firefox spyware with Google at the centre. I also cannot upload any screenshots in Firefox - period - that's why I only use Opera in the main - I shall be deleting Firefox completely. I will get round to installing IceCat methinks (I would like to install IceWeasel but that is only on Debian distros!) :roll:

jonas99

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:59:01 pm

I have done 2 system and its worked. but if I remember correctly I had changed /etc/firefox/syspref.js first.
suggest checking if /etc/firefox/syspref.js has been removed after purging ( if not delete it or it will reset homepage again) then reinstall - both my systems installed firefox from Ubuntu repo using the Zorin web browser manager, menu -- internet--Zorin web browser manager. I did not reinstall from terminal

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:27:19 pm

Hi, I installed gnome by accident (gladly though) and I have a clean firefox but no Zorin DE! :D

AZorin

Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:26:42 pm

Thank you very much for reporting this bug.
We have provided a fix for this issue as a software update to Zorin OS. In order to install this bug fix please open Start > search & open "Software Updater" and install the latest updates.

jonas99

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:15:20 pm

Thanx AZorin - for everyone else I formatted and reinstall Zorin 9 core (64b)on my test system and ran all updates I can confirm this issue is resolved.

FenderGuy53

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06:55 pm

AZorin wrote:Thank you very much for reporting this bug.
We have provided a fix for this issue as a software update to Zorin OS. In order to install this bug fix please open Start > search & open "Software Updater" and install the latest updates.

I just downloaded the latest updates and the Firefox Browser Startup Page issue has been fixed! Thank you!

By the way, I'm a a recent (last weekend) convert to Zorin OS 9, after much recent frustration with my Windows 7 PC.

Zorin OS 9 boots SO much faster that Windows 7, the screen refreshes are instantaneous, and it's a much more secure installation. Plus, it had everything I needed, right out of the box, so I could hit the ground running! There's much to learn, but I'm actually looking forward to it. I think I'm really going to like to like my new Zorin OS!

Anyway, thanks again for the quick fix!

killedBy11

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:57:17 pm

I found a solution. Go in the settings and set the homepage for new window to about:newtab
Even setting on the firefox home it would get me to that page. Go me 3 months to figure this out.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:30:55 pm

killedBy11 wrote:I found a solution. Go in the settings and set the homepage for new window to about:newtab
Even setting on the firefox home it would get me to that page. Go me 3 months to figure this out.

But that is the same for any browser! (on any OS!) :lol: