This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

commerical dvd playback

mbjbdc

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:23:22 pm

fresh install trying to play a commerical dvd.
i appear to have restricted extras installed.
searched synaptic for libdvdcss.what do i need for dvd playback?

craig10x

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:25:24 am

Piece of cake...On the medibuntu website under packages, you just need to get the deb file for the codec libdvdcss2....that is the one that decodes encrypted dvds...Linux Mint is one of the few that comes pre-installed with it, but for ubuntu or any ubuntu based distro like Zorin, that is what you will need to add.

Installation is simple: just click on the appropriate link (32 bit or 64 bit depending on which one you are using of Zorin) and that will download the deb file...save the file, then go to your downloads folder and right click...click open with ubuntu software center and it will read it and then allow you to install it...easy as that! :)

Here's the link to the actual page (to save you time):
http://packages.medibuntu.org/natty/libdvdcss2.html

Not only will you be able to play commercial dvds but if you use the K3b disc burner (or install it from the software center) you can even decrypt a commercial dvd (brasero doesn't do this) and make an unencrypted copy...simply by making a 1 to 1 dvd copy in that program...it can do that once you have this codec installed... ;)

ubuntu's software center doesn't have it...that is why you need to get it from medibuntu....by the way, i find K3b to be a much superior disc burner to Brasero anyway, so you may want to check it out...

Wolfman

Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:52:45 am

Hi,

as Craig said plus you can add the whole "Medibuntu" repo from here if you wish:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

This gives you also a number of other options on restricted (non-free) packages like firmware for DVB-T devices.

Regards Wolfman :D