This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Updating LibreOffice and Firefox on 3.1

Knowguy

Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:18:51 pm

I am having the hardest time figuring out how to update both LibreOffie (3.3 to 3.4) and Firefox (3.6 to 6.0) on Zorin OS 3.1 LTS... its like the software center is only linked to outdated programs. I tried installing from a .deb file but it only made 2 copies of the program and it they didn't show up right in the menu system.

Knowguy

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:21:05 pm

Doesn't work anyway I try it, I uninstalled LibreOffice 3.3 through synpatic then installed 3.4 through DEBS in terminal using (dpkg -i *.DEB) but now it doesnt show up under "Office" in menus so I cannot even access it.... Firefox 6.0 is just a fail altogether... and what is up with the RUSSIAN???

Knowguy

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:56:33 pm

Ok I figured it out... sudo apt-get purge libreoffice*.*, then I manually downloaded the LibreOffice 3.4 deb package from their site. Then I sudo dpkg -i *.deb, in the DEB folder, then I installed desktop-intgration debian package inside of the DEBS folder. Now LibreOffice 3.4 is installed in Zorin OS 3.1... LibreOffice 3.4 has not been deemed worthy of being added to the official PPA so this is why it has not been updated, although the PPA has also not been updated to LibreOffice 3.3.4, for some reason Zorin's software center is so outdated that im not sure what is going on.

Firefox 6.0 was a whole different story, I added the mozillateam/firefox-stable ppa and ran sudo apt-get dist-upgrade which whatever that means updated Zorin's super outdated version of Firefox from 3.6.20 to 6.0... Zorin needs to figure out what is up with this non-sense... :oops:

Obsidian1723

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:42:49 pm

Knowguy wrote:Ok I figured it out... sudo apt-get purge libreoffice*.*, then I manually downloaded the LibreOffice 3.4 deb package from their site. Then I sudo dpkg -i *.deb, in the DEB folder, then I installed desktop-intgration debian package inside of the DEBS folder. Now LibreOffice 3.4 is installed in Zorin OS 3.1... LibreOffice 3.4 has not been deemed worthy of being added to the official PPA so this is why it has not been updated, although the PPA has also not been updated to LibreOffice 3.3.4, for some reason Zorin's software center is so outdated that im not sure what is going on.

Firefox 6.0 was a whole different story, I added the mozillateam/firefox-stable ppa and ran sudo apt-get dist-upgrade which whatever that means updated Zorin's super outdated version of Firefox from 3.6.20 to 6.0... Zorin needs to figure out what is up with this non-sense... :oops:

That's why I remastered Zorin )S 3.1 to include those by default.

I write and maintain a script for customizing Ubuntu, and since Zorin OS is based on that, I used it to modify Zorin OS 3.1 and then remastered it for use on PCs I refurbish to make the Windows-to-Linux migration easier on people.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntune/ <---- script download