This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How can I install without use of internet?

Angelcake

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:42:38 pm

I decided to look into a Linux operating system and came upon the Zorin operating system. Requirements for installation is use of the internet. What if I cannot get on the internet until after installation? The computer I want to install on has a pci (Bliss) wireless card. I do not know if Zorin will recognize it and I should be able to install the operating system without the use of the internet. Once the os is installed, I can find drivers etc and try to get online. Any suggestions? Years ago, I tried Mandriva and it installed no problem and found and recognized the wireless card. I no longer have that computer and wanted to find a user friendly linux operating system. I hope I will not be disappointed with Zorin. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Angelcake

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:34:17 am

Thanks, I figured it out. I tried connecting on the live CD but it didn't seem to work. I did get it to install though and then configured the wireless and it was okay. Downloaded the updates and everything works well except my sound. I had speakers with a woofer and I could not get them to work. The speakers did turn on but I did not get any sound. I have other speakers that I will try because the ones I tried are old and might not work. Thanks again.

Angelcake

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:33:19 pm

I found that the mute was on the volume also. I still cannot get the sound to work. I tried new speakers and tried testing each speaker to no avail. I tried switching the cd cables inside the computer because their are two dvd drives but that still did not correct the problem. This is not the 64 bit but the 32 bit because this was an older motherboard with an Anthlon 2600 cpu and with an onboard nvidia sound card. Everything works excellent so far. The updates install without a problem. I still need to play with all applications etc but so far I really like this operating system. It is easier to transfer from a windows environment because it looks and works like all my windows machines. Just wish I could get the sound to work. I am sure that I will eventually get it to work. I took motherboard out of my daughters computer because she needed Corel Draw and it was incompatible with the chip. This machine workes well but if you have any suggestions I could try to get the sound to work, let me know. Thanks for all your help.

Angelcake

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:57:55 am

I tried all of them but nothing seems to work. I know that it should be analog stereo duplex but when that didn't work, I went down the list and tried each one. Sometimes you can find an adapter to use sata with an older computer but I don't know how well they work. I see that they came out with Zorin core 5. Would my operating system just automatically upgrade to the new version or would I have to do a complete reinstall? I tried my headphones just in case but there was no sound on them either. Any other suggestions?

Angelcake

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:03:49 am

Thanks, I didn't get a chance to try anything today. I did find the motherboard specs and it lists the sound as a realtek ALC 560 so I was wondering if maybe it does not have the correct driver? I downloaded os5 both 32 bit and 64 bit. I have another computer my son brought me and I am going to redo it and perhaps try the new os on it. How can I see what drivers are installed for the sound? In windows xp etc if you right clicked on my computer and went to device manager, you could see the drivers, look for updated drivers and roll back a driver. Can you do this with this os? Since I am new to this operating system, I am not sure where to look for this information. Thanks

w2310b

Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:01:29 am

Angelcake - There is more than likely a way of viewing the current driver (but it will not be the same as Windows). Things like rolling back drivers are a bit different and a tad more involved as well.

It's good that you've tried several methods to test your sound by the way - your persistence is commendable and welcomed, because it helps us to help you :)

Just a quick question though, are you clicking 'apply' after changing each speaker setting (stereo duplex etc)? I can't remember if this was required but if you didn't it might be worth trying. Also could you possibly try a youtube video or something other than an audio CD (I think I saw you were trying to play a CD?)

Angelcake

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:10:08 pm

Yes, I did try a utube video and still no sound. I have found that this is a common problem with Ubuntu after 9.xx versions. Everyone says sound worked fine until they upgraded. Still have not found a solution though. The problem is a nforce2 ALC650F sound which is RealTek ALC650. Some people say about switching from ALSA to OSS but I do not know how to do that either. Like I said, I am new to linux and everything is foreign to me. Also, today when I turned on my computer my video resolution was 600 x 480 with no option to pick new resolution. So, I installed os5 core and now I will see if it happens again. Thank God this is a spare computer to play with. Wish I could get the sound to work though. Maybe I should post under help and Support sound?

Angelcake

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:25:02 pm

Looking over the internet, I find that the sound is a common problem with later versions of ubuntu after 8.XX. When I look at the package that is installed and click on more information, it tells me that the administrator can switch from ALSA to OSS which is for older sound cards. How do I do this, I have changed my account to administrator but I can't find an area where I can switch? Do I need to use the terminal? Then what code do you type to do it? The video seems to be working fine with the new os. Also, this authenticate every time I want to do something is driving me nuts. In windows, I can turn off user account control but I cannot find a place here to do that. I do not want to use any passwords or authenticate because I am just playing and there is no information other than the os on the computer. There should be a place to be able to switch back and forth. Any help you can give me will be appreciated. I do log on automatically but I need to place a password to get on the wireless network. Getting more familiar with linux though not as much as I would like to.

Angelcake

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:31:11 pm

Great, I will try that except I do not know the administrator password? Don't remember setting one up at install. I wrote down all the passwords used and I think I am the only user. I will try with my password and see if it works. Will let you know.

Angelcake

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:34:23 pm

Tried the sudo alsaconf. it says command not found? Does that mean that I do not have ALSA installed? The package manager has a alsa base and it is installed. Can you help?

rscott4581

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:25:16 pm

in Terminal - sudo su
enter password
Then enter this:
/sbin/alsa reload

Mine gives this result:
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/rscott4581/.gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.
/sbin/alsa: Warning: Processes using sound devices: 1448(pulseaudio).
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device snd-page-alloc (failed: modules still loaded: snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-timer snd-page-alloc).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device snd-page-alloc.

Angelcake

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:42:48 pm

I tried another set of speakers and still did not get any sound. I did install Zorin 5 core to another computer that my son brought the other day. Everything works fine, even the sound, and it is the same sound card. Makes me think that maybe my onboard sound is bad? If I go to configure the sound and test the speakers, there is a smilie face so I am thinking that the soundcard is okay but maybe the output does not work. I will try the reload and see if that will works but I did try lspci -v and my sound card was listed along with the driver etc. Looked around for another linux distribution and installed Mandriva and the sound still didn't work so I reinstalled Zorin. I did not want to dual boot so I just did a reinstall. I looked all over for another sound card but I do not have any on hand. If I find one and it works I will use that.

Angelcake

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:46:58 pm

Here is what I got with the reload.

lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/janice/.gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.
/sbin/alsa: Warning: Processes using sound devices: 1223(pulseaudio).
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device snd-page-alloc (failed: modules still loaded: snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-timer snd-page-alloc).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-seq-midi snd-rawmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-timer snd-seq-device snd-page-alloc.
Is this what it is supposed to be? If so, then I guess that maybe my on board sound is not working right where you plug in the speakers.

Angelcake

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:20:05 pm

I don't know. I give up. I tried another sound card, but it also was an older type. It recognized it as a as40000 but no sound came out of the device. I did disable the onboard sound to test the new card. I am back to the onboard card and the only other thing I could try is to load windows xp home and see if I can get the mb drivers and see if it works in windows. If it does, at least I will know that the onboard sound works and then I can go from there. It is just a pain to install a whole operating system and then reinstall Zorin. Everything else seems to be working just fine. Will not be able to do anthing until the weekend because I have work. If I can fit it in, I will let you know how everything goes. Computer works great! It is not real slow, 2600 Anthlon, 2GB Ram and 60 gig hard drive. If I can get the sound to work it would be awesome. A great spare to keep on hand. Thanks for all your help.