This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Help ... My desktop slowly disappears

skoobyboo

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:14:12 pm

Hi and thanks in advance :)

I have a crappy Optiplex GX270, I made sure that it was compatible.

I've just downloaded and installed Zorin OS Core 5 (I've just done my 2nd installation now, thank god for my partners pc :) ) everything goes fine, start up - loads zorin - logs me in automatically AND THEN .... either of the following will happen

1. Desktop will partially load with the start up screen still visible and then if I scroll to applications that icon thing will wither disappear or it'll let me click it but then the drop down menu will show for a split second and then disappear and everything starts doing it.

2. I'll click on something like applications and then it'll just freeze. like it's doing now and that was after the 2nd install had completed and I had clicked restart (it's frozen on the black screen with the white writing just before it restarts/shuts down (well thats what mine does anyway) and it's got the loading circle from the start up in it)

I don't know if that was the right one to install so i'm downloading the lite version as I type on this pc and that one will work BUT in the mean time

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I done the stupid thing of completely wiping xp off my system, so there is only this os on it ... ohhh man ... help

Anonymous

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:08:09 pm

Hi skoobyboo,

did you install the driver for your graphic card?

Regards
Andreas ;)

skoobyboo

Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:28:47 pm

Thanks for my only reply :)

To answer your question, no I didn't install the graphic card which leads me to believe my pc
couldn't handle the core version which is no problem now :D After the Lite version had finished
downloading I quickly put that on my usb stick via unetbootin and voila .,.. perfecto!

Wolfman

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:52:46 pm

Did you run the update manager after you installed ZOS 5??.

Regards Wolfman :D

skoobyboo

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:12:46 pm

Morning Wolfman :)

Well you wouldn't believe it ... When I first installed Zorin 5 Core I honestly couldn't do anything, I saw bits of the desktop including the start button
I'd click on it but it would be a flash, so quick I couldn't do anything.

I then successfully installed the lite version and that went fine but I didn't like that version so I used my partners pc downloaded 5 Core again and unetbootn,
I used the live one first, to see if the same problems would occur ... Well guess what? It worked perfectly fine, so I now have Zorin 5 Core OS :D
and got rid of the lite version.

When I first installed it, I done the full installation right from start up getting rid of xp (YAY! FINALLY OUT OF THE STONE AGE) and as I said before, I
couldn't do anything, I really don't know what went wrong with the first installation, I used the same usb stick done the exact same installation.

But ... All is now good :)

Thanks