This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 5 Ultimate Background Plus issue

rscott4581

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:14:09 pm

I have installed Zorin OS 5 Ultimate and it is of course a great OS already from what I have seen so far. I added the Nvidia Drivers on for my 9600GT to add the effects and 3D support. When I turn on Background Plus with the Stars background on the desktop however I get what I would call a remnant rectangular box on the left of the desktop that looks uncannily like the Unity box in bright green, but with nothing in it, how do I get rid of this without disabling the Background Plus? I must also mention that this does not show when using the screen-savers, only when the Stars background is run...

rscott4581

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:31:34 pm

Thank you for the reply. I removed the 173 Nvidia Driver and rebooted of course the box was gone but also have no desktop effects nor 3D support either. The problem is definitely directly related to that 173 driver so I think what I may do is either try to do the Nvidia install off their website or just be more patient and wait for a new driver that isn't as flaky as the beta driver seems to be.. Thanks again for your advice, I do appreciate the guidance..

VanR

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:06:30 pm

In terminal you could try

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

and see what comes up.
One of the latest drivers like 270.41.09 or something (I can't remember) like that might solve your problem.

I'm now running 275.09.04 from the x-swat PPA