This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Panel icons won't change to new background theme?

liviococcia

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:00:17 am

Hello members
I've installed Zorin c5 ultimate and wanted to change the desktop 'Panel' background to another style, so i 'right' clicked onto the panel, then > Properties > 'Background properties' tab, chose my 'background image' file.

What seems to have happened is that the background is not changing to the 'Z' menu button or any icons to the right side on the panel (ie network, bluetooth, user), also using a solid colour under the 'Background properties tab i tried to set the transparency level, again i have the same problem none of the same buttons/icons will change.

It's as if i don't have the access rights as i gather this is part of the 'Gnome', does member know how to rectify this, specifically using the 'background image' and failing that maybe getting the 'transparency' to work across the whole panel.

kind regards
Livio

Wolfman

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:54:51 am

Hi Livio,

to change the style of the start button, you must right click on the button and select "properties" and then make your changes.

For the taskbar (panel), it should change according to what you select, do you have the graphic card drivers installed and did you update the system before trying to make any changes?? (Control Center > Hardware > Additional Drivers. The drivers are not installed automatically).

If you are trying to use a background image, it will only show as much as the height and depth/width of the panel itself!!.

Open Synaptic and type "shiki colors" in search and double click it to install, it will install a number of other packages which may help solve your problem. (Shiki is a group of themes for Linux)

Hope this helps you further.

Regards Wolfman :D

maxmm5

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:42:45 pm

Hi liviococcia, Welcome... To be able to change the background of your panel entirely, you need to set the "Appearance Preference first; please go to Control Panel/ Appearance and from Appearance Preference window, hit the button "Customize...", from Customize Theme window, select the "Controls" tab and find "Dust Sand", hit it and your done, close all open windows, go back to the panel and change the background of your choice. Take a look to changes I've done on my desktop...

liviococcia

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:08:25 pm

Hello Wolfman, thanks for the help i checked through your instructions but nothing rectified my issue, then just as i was about to post my reply back ...,
....maxmm5 posted......and a big thank you for that, i followed your instructions and that did it..??, i then picked 'clearlooks' instead 'dust sand', funny how some will allow you own 'background image' to appear throughout the panel, and some won't, the only problem that's now appeared is the 'time' font colour and my 'user' name font colour are black, is there a way to change them to white?

Any help would be really great.

kind regards

liviococcia

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:09:18 pm

just to say great looking desktop

maxmm5

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:32:36 pm

liviococcia, Yes of course you can change the the color of the icon, go back to Customize Theme window; there are 5 tabs to play with, one is "Icon" tab and choice "Ubuntu-Mono-Dark", it will give you a white icon instead, but if you choice the light one it will give you the opposite. Take a trial and error approach, you can even change the color of your windows or text. Good luck.

craig10x

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:36:05 pm

Not to change the subject...but i was just curious...i have looked at Zorin 5 many times on a live dvd session but never actually installed...i was just wondering if those of you who have it actually installed, does your screensaver work properly? It doesn't on the live session....tries to "kick in" but isn't able to....

maxmm5

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:51:16 pm

craig10x, It works on my son's pc, but not on my netbook.

liviococcia

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:34:32 pm

Hello craig10x, i use a Macbook (intel), and run Zorin C5 Ultimate OS as a full install, and from an external USB hard drive, i first tried the free Live disk and the screen saver worked very well, after seeing the OS worked for the Mac i installed the free version to the USB drive, and this again worked great, on the currently installed 'ultimate' version the screen saver is set again to the multi-coloured rings.

This problem sounds like a graphics driver issue, maybe if you decide to install it, 'Updates manager' may iron out the issue your having with a 'hardware' graphics update.

I have also tried the Zorin C5 Live disk on a PC at my workplace, and again the screen saver wasn't a problem for me.

Thanks again maxmm5 fro your help

kind regards
Livio

maxmm5

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49:06 pm

You're welcome liviococcia, it's was my pleasure of helping somebody to pay back for the helped I got on this forum, when I'm still on the learning stage on my newly discovered OS. Hope you will do the same. cheers.

craig10x

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:52:27 pm

also thanks for the replies for me...could be that in the updates you do on the actual install will correct the problem that i noticed on the live session..thanks :)

maxmm5

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:16:14 am

Thanks swarfendor437, hope Mr. Zorin like it too...How about adopting the 3 word logo?