This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Start Menu Avatar Solution

Contra

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:26:59 am

AKA "Contra's Mod"

open a terminal, type sudo nautilus
then type your password

then through the window that opens

go to var/lib/AccountServices/icons
then change the permissions of that folder to your login name essentially making YOU the owner

save that...

then make a linked copy of the picture of your account while in that folder, it will look exact like the original but it will say "link" (all while still in "sudo")

now that you did the hard part, while still in the terminal

back out and go to

usr/share/zorinmenu/Themes/Icon/ZorinOS (the file ZorinOS may not say that anymore, things change, but it will be the THEME you choose or do it to them all)

and in there do the same type of permissions you did in the other folder (naming your login name as the "owner" (whatever you chose to name your computer), instead of the "root" as the owner

now, you see while in that folder the files that says

"gtk-missing-image.png"

it is the generic picture of that guy in your start menu right?
well take the link you created earlier (in the other folder) and put it here in this folder, but first re-name it to "gtk-missing-image.png" (essentially stealing the name)
then copy and paste it here in
usr/share/zorinmenu/Themes/Icon/~ (~ don't put the symbol, because the name of the folder may have changed, put it in the themed folder you will be using)

you don't need to be in the terminal after you initially changed both folder to YOUR LOGIN name as you are now the owner
so copy and paste all you want, the file size doesn't matter

just remember in the first folder make a link to the picture by right clicking while your the owner (or in sudo as root)

and this will work...

post a pic of your new moded menu...

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:25:30 pm

Nice how to Contra -- i saved myself a lot of issues by installing GnoMenu and then just putting my avatar .png renamed as '.face' and placed in '/home' folder and as you see it in this thread:

download/file.php?id=4556&mode=view

;) :D

Contra

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:43:02 am

nice, it is also nice to see I am not the last active member here...lol