This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install Comodo Antivirus for Linux and fix needed

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:42:14 pm

OK, first go to here:

https://www.comodo.com/home/download/do ... track=6129

Choose the correct option for your OS - 32-bit or 64-bit

Then after downloading the .deb package "cav-linux_x86.deb" (for 32-bit system) "cav-linux_x64.deb" (for 64-bit system) extract it with GDebi Package Manager. You will need to provide your login password to install the package - now there is an issue after installation and the fix is two-fold:

1. install 'redir' and 'sqlite' via a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install redir sqlite
- you will need your login password once more to elevate you to 'root' (administrator) to do this - remember you will not see any asterisks or dots in the terminal!

2. Download the updated 'driver.tar' from here:

http://www.bondoffamily-net.com/~kinta- ... index.html:

kinta-chan.jpg

ALWAYS choose the STABLE version!

Now don't do anything to unpack the newly downloaded .tar file - you need to browse in a terminal to /opt/COMODO and take ownership of the existing 'driver.tar' by the following command:

Code:
sudo chown [your username] driver.tar

You can now safely delete this file and replace it with the one you downloaded.

[THIS NEXT BIT IS FOR 64-BIT USERS!!! I had an issue during install in that it wanted to install an older library file of libdssl - the installed version is 1.0 - SO IF YOU FOLLOW THIS ADVICE YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! Download the old libdssl from here: http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... _amd64.deb - install it using the Gdebi Package Manager]

Now when Comodo reports that there is an issue say 'Yes' to the option to fix and you will get a lengthy licence that you have to say 'Y' to to apply the fix - but be very careful you don't skip past it!

Comodo licence.jpg

You then have the option to provide your email address if you want to be notified of developments but not essential. After you press enter the redir sqlite fix will take effect:

Build redirfs kernel modules Comodo.jpg

You may get some mail filter errors - just adjust the smtp settings to 'general MTA' to get rid of the error message.

If you get the message it has never been updated, update the virus database and then;

Finally, scan your computer to get a 'green shield':

Comodo running correctly.jpg

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01:38 pm

[ADVISORY! 64-bit will NOT run in 'stateful' mode but you can use it to scan the drive - there is an issue with the Fixes which stopped being updated after 2015 - also please read this thread:

https://forums.comodo.com/comodo-antivi ... #msg738830

If you like Comodo the best solution might be to download the Comodo Rescue Disk - this runs on a GNU/Linux distro Slitaz - the beauty of it is it runs in live mode on the created CD/USB that you create - but be sure to have internet connection for it to work properly to download the latest updates.

https://www.comodo.com/business-securit ... e-disk.php

I'm going to ditch Comodo and look at installing ClamAV the native Linux Virus checker. :D

lat002

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:42:50 pm

Hi,
I'm new to Zorin which I've installed on a laptop (dual boot alongside Windows 7).
One of the first things I want to do is install an antivirus program so I'm trying to get COMODO installed following the guide from Swarfender437.
However I've got stuck early in the procedure.
I've downloaded COMODO 64bit and GDebi Package Installer but when I run the installer it throws up an error message after a few seconds: 'Error: Dependancy is not satisfiable: libssl 0.9.8 (>=0.9.8m-1)'
Please can anyone help? Thanks

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:25:56 pm

Hi, and welcome! On Windows I use Comodo and I searched for the possibility that it could run on Zorin. I got it working on earlier versions that 12 but having looked into it more closely the issue is that the third party fix from a scripter in Asia means it was unofficial and not a good idea, coupled with the fact that the scripter ceased writing updates after 2015. My advice to you is:

1. Turn on GUFW (Firewall)
2. Install Clam AV from the repositories via Synaptic Manager - remembering to also install Clam TK, to provide the GUI Interface.
3. Install rkhunter (rootkit hunter)

Here is a good article:

https://www.linux.com/learn/intro-to-li ... ware-linux

lat002

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:27:35 pm

Thanks for that.
I've got my Firewall turned on.
I've installed ClamAV and ClamTK tonight but I'm not sure that it's running yet. It seemed to install OK. I've not had chance to learn to understand what if anything is happening but will try again tomorrow. I'll also check out (and install) rkhunter. Thanks for the quick reply.
Being new to Zorin (and Linux itself for that matter) everything seems very complicated with lots of separate steps to do anything and a vast array of things to learn about!

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30:06 pm

In part that is the beauty of GNU/Linux - you can have it your way instead of being dictated to how your desktop appears. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:07:02 am

of course you can make an alternative choice and do not run a firewall and antivirus at all. the beauty of linux for a novice as myself is the total absence of concern for "Malware" along with many other forms of "worms", ransomware, spyware, adware, trojan horses, keyloggers, rootkits, bootkits, malicious Browser Helper Object.

no interest anymore for DLL sites, warez forums, warez blogs. rule out windows if you can. during past months I learned that making a backup and keeping the OS update is the sensible thing to do.

my 2cents. cheers

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:07:10 pm

[UPDATED 13.12.2017]

The weakest vector on any platform (apart from Mac since it banned it) is Flash. ;) :D

Also you don't need access to an OS to attack a machine - many years ago in a Computer Magazine, Malware was written by Russians to attack GPU's as they are Processors in their own right! :shock:

wombat140

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:33:25 pm

Digging up an old thread, but a propos of that last comment, is it safe to use a particular Flash application that you've been using for years and know is genuine, or is it Flash in itself that is insecure, and even using a trusted thing is vulnerable to third-party hacking?

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:49:47 am

Hi it is Flash in itself that is insecure - that's why there was a move to html5. A few years ago there was a "hackfest" competition and the weakest lin on any platform (OS) was Flash.

matt3go

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11:04 pm

wombat140 wrote:Digging up an old thread, but a propos of that last comment, is it safe to use a particular Flash application that you've been using for years and know is genuine, or is it Flash in itself that is insecure, and even using a trusted thing is vulnerable to third-party hacking?

I agree @Swarfendor437, html5 is way to go I personally never used Flash anymore.