This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY] Emulate a CD ...

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:04:45 am

so you don't have to keep putting your Windows CD Games in the CD/DVD Rom/RW drive!

1. Got to this page:

https://www.unixmen.com/cdemu-virtual-c ... ive-linux/

After you have followed the instructions to install, it places it in the startup applications folder but does not check mark it so do that before proceeding.

2. Next find your favourite game, pop it in the Optical Drive and 'Open' it to view all files.

3. Go to your Menu, then Wine then 'Browse C Drive'

4. Create a new folder in C and name it exactly the same as the game CD.

5. In the game CD window select all files and copy to the newly created folder in the fake C drive.

6. right-click the 'setup.exe' file, select properties, then the permissions tab and check mark the last item of allowing it to run as a program - this should now install the game to your fake C: Drive.

7. Some games won't run without the CD present - this is where gcdemu comes into play. Open Brasero and from the list of optoins, select 'Copy disc'

8. Now copy to 'image file' from the drop-down selection instead of original optical drive - this places a .toc and .toc.bin file in your /home folder.

9. Launch gcdemu from the panel and select device #00 (Empty)/

10. Load the file with the suffix .toc.bin and you should see the same icon appear on your desktop as you would if you were placing it in the optical drive.

11. Go to your wine menu and select the correct launcher for the game to run.

I have created a small video but omitted the whole process wo will do a fresh one with all the steps.

32-bit Zorin 12 appears to be showing more options with gnome extensions compared to 64-bit but then again I have also installed Gnome in its entirety to see how far I can get. :D