This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 Lite Dropbox install

MBMz10

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:57:12 am

Install Dropbox on Zorin 12.1 Lite, Also works on Linux Mint xfce 18.2 so likely would work on most Ubuntu with xfce system running 16.04.
Shows how to install Dropbox on Zorin 12.1 Lite and how to fix the broken Icon. Its about 5 minutes long and rather simple. Code or syntax for command below:
dbus-launch dropbox start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag849lN ... e=youtu.be

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:35:17 am

Great Job! Just when I believed it was not supported!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13236#p58116

MBMz10

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:57:05 pm

Thanks, not sure if it constitutes 'supported' but it seems to work. It took a bit of searching the net to find this solution and about half a dozen VM installs and a couple of full installs to be comfortable with the result. I was thinking maybe make a video as it is likely other Zorin lite users would find the same problem as myself, then I saw the post on Zorin forum from someone!

Notwithstanding this is Zorin OS designed for newer users from other OS's I felt this was something likely drive them (and me) away. Download some tar.gz or .deb thingy run some command and just compile it from source code, cant I just double click the .exe !#$?

I watched a few videos about the Dropbox company earlier and their slogan is "it just works" and all I could think of is "it just-about works".

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:00:54 pm

To be fair I did post the link in the other thread you mentioned that they stated themselves (one of the devs) that they did not support Lubuntu or Xubuntu - both current and previous versions of Zorin Lite on which they were/are based! ;)

MBMz10

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:12:33 pm

Looks like upgrading to 12.2 from 12.1 has broken this fix. Anyone else having issues with Dropbox on 12.2 Lite?

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:08:58 pm

I don't use dropbox but have you tried applying the fix again after the upgrade? It is like a lot of things in GNU/Linux - you sometimes have to reapply the fix or 'recompile the kernel' which I know nothing about! ;) :D

MBMz10

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:58:25 am

I tried everything I could think of, however I didn't try using the earlier kernel! Strangely it worked fine today all by itself on the full hardware install. My VM's wouldn't work yesterday but they are only for testing. Might have a play with them later. For now if it ain't broke don't fix.

MBMz10

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:51:13 pm

In Session and Startup, if you uncheck or even remove the Startup item that Dropbox installer creates and restart the computer should work. Provided you had previously followed the above instructions.
Don't know why I had trouble earlier, maybe some updates but all mine are now working.

(edit 23 Oct 2017) basically it only works some times see my fix below

MBMz10

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:47:50 am

Since Zorin Lite updated to 12.2 Dropbox seems to start correctly about half the time. Actually it seems to work OK but the tray icon doesn’t render or function properly.
Below is how I managed to resolve this as best as I could. The icon no longer has the green tick when it is up to date but I think that is do do with Dropbox and not Zorin/Xfce desktop!!!

Open the file manager and go to your /home folder, right click an empty area and choose Create Document > Text File, name it dropbox.sh then right click it and choose Open With Text Editor.
Paste in the code below,

Code:
sleep 15s
dropbox stop
sleep 5s && dbus-launch dropbox start &

exit

And Click Save.

Now right click the file and choose Properties, go to the permission tab at the top and put a check in the Program: Allow this file to run as a program check box.

Next click the Zorin button on the panel and go to Settings then Session and Startup and choose the middle tab at the top called Application Autostart, click the Add button, you may have to scroll down to find it.

Name: Dropbox Workaround or whatever you like.
Description: Make Dropbox Work or whatever you like or leave empty.
Command: click the up arrow and browse to your home and click on the dropbox.sh file, click Open the click OK.

The sleep 15s command in the code to give the automatic self regenerating dropbox autostart entry time to run before stopping it, if your dropbox icon appears in the panel in within a few seconds of login you could make it 5 or 10 seconds or 20 or 30 seconds for slower systems.

Thus far this is working as good as can be expected for me so just wait and see :lol:

MBMz10

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:51:54 pm

Have made a new video for Zorin 12.2 Lite Dropbox failing to start correctly, it works for my system hopefully it will for you also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ61xxKxJtw

Video is just under 6 mins long and I trust easy to understand and follow instructions.